75 gal big enough for two osars and a pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

feinhorn

Aquarium Advice Regular
I found a really good deal on a 75 gal tank for my two oscars and pleco. They are in a 30 gal now and will grow out of it soon. I just finished cycling my tank and hate that I have to do it all over again even if I use the media and filters from the 30 gal. I also hate to put the fish through stress again but in the long run I think it will be better. Any thoughts?

Why would you expect there to be a major cycle if you use the media and water from your 30 gallon tank? I would guess that you'll only have a minimal upsqing in the harmful chemicals, no?

a 75 would most certainly be big enough for your two o's and a pleco. i do it every day. alot of people say it is too small but i have had mine in there for about a year and a half and the are both about 12-13" long. i have a mated pair that have babies about once a month.

Thats a great home for the two oscars and the pleco. Its not too small at all. What decorations (live or fake) and set up are you going to have in there?

Also how are the Oscars with the Pleco? I have an 8 inch Jack Demsey in my 37 gallon which I just aquired, and I have a 7 inch pleco in my 29 gallon. I want to put the pleco in the 37 gallon with the Jack Demsey, but not sure if the Jack with fish with the pleco. I like them both a lot, its exciting to have jkust got the 37 gallon and the Jack.. a nice step up from a 29 gallon, plus it was an awesome deal. I am a lil' scared though (of combining the fish) because they do not know eachother... what do you think?

well, my oscars are pretty nice to the pleco. But they have know each other since they were babies. The dominante oscar will chase the pleco some times and even nip at him but they don't fight or hurt each other. You could use a tank divider if you are really worried about the pleco for like a week or two. Or just put him in and watch for a week to see how they are getting along. That is my best advice. Do it on a weekend so that you can watch them for awhile. Nothing like spending a weekend with your fish, thats what it is all about!!!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom