75 gallon fish in cycle? What fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brandon3000

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys I am ready to start a fish in cycle on my 75 gallon community. I am just not sure which fish to use or how many. Any ideas?

Hardy Fish

Hey guys I am ready to start a fish in cycle on my 75 gallon community. I am just not sure which fish to use or how many. Any ideas?

Hello Bran...

I used female Fancy Guppies. They're very hardy and if you do a good job of checking the tank water chemistry, you'll have fry toward the end of the cycle. Platys are also a good choice if you prefer Livebearers. Avoid Mollies. If you like egg layers. then Rasboras, White Clouds and Tiger Barbs will work. Zebra Danios are a nice egg laying fish too, but they prefer the water a bit cooler.

Don't forget to plant the tank well. Anubias nana and nangi, Singapore moss, Anacharis, Pennywort, Duckweed and Hornhort will provide a healthy oxygen level and use some the nitrogen produced by the fish waste. I also recommend using a teaspoon of standard aquarium salt in every 5 gallons of new, treated tap water to boost the fishes overall health. They'll need a little help during the nitrogen cycle.

Again, keep close tabs on the ammonia and nitrite levels and change the water. You likely already know the drill if you're going the "fish in" cycling route.

I'd say 6 to 8 fish should be enough to get things going.

B

Depends on what fish you want to keep long term. If you do it right your fish are going to live long after the cycle is over. So what do plan on keeping?

Back
Top Bottom