75 gallon planted aquarium log

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The light arrived today. The difference between light intensity is astounding.

I've also made a couple of really big orders this past week. I have 100lbs of eco-complete, 2 200w Hydor ETH heaters, a coralife turbotwist 3x 9w UV sterilizer, some eheim parts, and a full CO2 system from greenleafaquariums.com on the way.

Craig has me talked into building the Cerge's reactor he's now using due to the increased flow he's seeing when compared to the Rex Grigg setup. I still need to get the stuff to build that. Other than the small things like a couple timers and a big power strip everything is ordered.

Now I just need plants!

Here are updated pictures with a much better camera.

img_1126180_0_57675f4aea3042c8df32ee562b0a3fc7.jpg

img_1126180_1_fc9db10401ccea9ec0554c9d0e456cd1.jpg

img_1126180_2_5330839e13ef664a6a739c314f1f5bb7.jpg

Well, I'm not full force into finishing this up yet, until after I move (ETA 2 weeks). I'm planning a major shift in the hardscape when I do it, which I think will make this look 1000x better.

I want to go ahead and use black latex paint to do the background, verses using the taped on backing. I'm going to change that rock wall to run laterally across the tank, and be much more dug into the substrate. I'll back fill it all to give the slope that I like also. The whole goal will be to make it much more natural. Also, I'll be finally sinking that other big piece of driftwood you see floating with weights of some kind.

It's making me anxious. I have a lot of work to do to the tank and I'm going to need to keep the fish alive and healthy during this trip. They are going to spend a good bit of time out of the tank while I rescape everything as planned. My normal method of transporting them is in a 5 gal bucket filled about 75% with tank water. How long do you think they would be ok in there? I could add a heater and airstone if needed while I do the rest of the work. How do you guys do it?

Another pleco. Again, I would love to know what kind it is.
img_1126185_0_99a48c95dc0648630cc306dd7fe5ebd0.jpg

not positive, but i think this is a pitbull pleco. just skimmed the thread, so i don't know if you figured that out. but the eyes make me think it's a pitbull pleco (or goby pleco, Parotocinclus jumbo) i think they're so cute. we're actually getting one tomorrow :D

Awesome! I'll investigate into those to see if I can determine for sure if that's what he is. I love him, and he's the only one I couldn't part with. Plus I like that he seems to be staying to a smallish size so he won't bulldoze the eventual plants I put in.

if it is indeed a pitbull pleco, it won't exceed a max. size of 3 inches. i've read that they like to be in groups, like the otocinclus, but i'm not positive if that's true. we wanted to get 2 or 3 but the LFS only has 1 right now, so we'll get him a buddy a little down the road.

Easy way to weigh down your DW, just set some of your larger rocks on it. Since you're planning to re-scape it shouldn't bug you too much to see rocks on DW. ;)

Way big update time.

So I finally got moved, and completed the long process of re-setting everything up. The first day of breaking everything down I didn't keep track of the time but the second day I put in about 14 hours putting everything together.

The first step was painting the back of the tank. I went to Lowes and grabbed some of their Valspar Satin Black laytex paint. I used a foam roller and put on two coats. I'm exceptionally happy with the outcome. Yesterday I couldn't really see how well it came out because micro bubbles were all over the back glass. However today when I got home, the background was absolutely flawless.

The next step was getting the stand prepped. First was getting the power strips and timer installed. The first strip on the left has the two filters, two heaters and the timer installed. It's the constant power. The second strip on the right is my timed sockets. Its going to have the light fixture, CO2 solenoid, and UV plugged in. The photo period is going to determine how long the UV runs.

img_1137196_0_5a488a0aa15ea24f36e866e67dd5d297.jpg

The next task was to test fit everything out, think through the hose layout to try and avoid kinks and keep everything in some type of order so I don't have wires and hoses all over the **** place in that cabinet.

img_1137196_1_a561bee67e7595310f3a23c00bee6bae.jpg

img_1137196_2_815abd7476b677560eaf108056ed1239.jpg

img_1137196_3_45d6f77794f06b45fff3b592ec75a04e.jpg

Then I fit everything together, cut a couple pieces of new hose and was ready for the tank. As you'll see the loop with the 2215 on it, has that open space in the corner. That will eventually be where my CO2 reactor resides. However I screwed up and forgot to pull the air hose through before I sealed it all up, so I'll have to bore it out bigger and seal it with silicone.

img_1137196_4_b396e45d6d3bee4989cb1cb2074e8fbf.jpg

img_1137196_5_279fdc8cb1ddf219b759eb98f623b37a.jpg

Doing a little cable management

img_1137196_6_9797bc00180add82bc0ab7278c422a6a.jpg

img_1137196_7_e6a0a76aeec899d9dd58367476f5abab.jpg

Then it was time for the tank to go on the stand. I tried to level the stand and tank as well as I could but since its on carpet, that's kind of difficult.

I started the substrate by putting in some of the older eco-complete/gravel mixture I was previously using. It's got some of the old bacteria in it and I thought the gravel would help it keep from getting too compacted at the deeper depths and having oxygen issues.

img_1137204_0_7009b7a7af50855e4ddf679b39e0e7f4.jpg

Once I got the base layer in, I wanted to build the wall but alter how it was executed. I basically want it look like an old decrepit wall slowly being reclaimed by nature that has started to fail in the center, with substrate spilling out. I also placed the driftwood and some bigger accent rock to help fill in the back right corner.

img_1137204_1_5ca07439c967176d51c42765fef8cfa5.jpg

img_1137204_2_2b0f76b152afd1167a5a02e099fc3370.jpg

And here's the final FTS at the end of the day yesterday. I haven't taken a shot today after the micro bubbles cleared up because I've been out all day long.

img_1137204_3_716e5ad955dfffce1857f0ff62799c66.jpg

Now I'm playing the waiting game again. I need to place a plant and fertilizer order somewhere and start filling this thing out. At the same time I need to get the CO2 reactor fixed up and then get it installed too. This GLA rig is gnawing at me to get it going. I've got fish to add too. I think I'm going to add 4 or so more rainbows, replace the 3 tigers I've lost (they were all runts), and about 12 cories (I like juliis). Depending on the bio load I might add some rummynoses too.

I'm curious to see how you all think the hardscape turned out. Its far from being perfect, but I'm happy with the first shot. Eventually I'd like to see some leafy crypts or anubias planted right behind the wall so when grown out the foliage will drape over it slightly. I also think getting a foreground going will help it look more "reclaimed". The rocks in the back right will most likely be pulled out as they are taking a lot of plant real estate. I think a nice large sword or some rotala will look good back there.

Oh, and I realize the filter inputs are pretty ugly and in your face but once the tank is grown in you'll never see them.

Yeah, I have the Eheim shut-off connectors inline on my hoses. I basically just closed the ball valves before draining the tank so the filters were full the entire time. Granted it wasn't a constant cycle of fresh water so some of it might have died off but I think enough survived to keep any major problems.

As for the substrate, I went to wal-mart and bought a big tub to put it in. I drained the tank as much as I could with a python, then used a cup to scoop it out and throw it in the tub. It had enough water in it to keep 2-3 inches or so flooded in the tub.

The bacteria and all will definitely need time to re-establish to get back to max capacity, but I think I can avoid a mini cycle. I'll cut feeding to once a day and go easy on the amount for a little while. Now that I don't have the runt barbs in the tank I don't have to slightly overfeed to give them a better chance at getting a bite anyways.

Everything is going awesome it seems. I think I avoided a cycle of any kind. The UV is helping keep the water super clear.

The big issue is I have a friend of my moms offering to give me a whole troupe of cichlids for free. FREE. So I'm really really tempted to take him up on his offer, however I know the rainbows, barbs, and well most likely plants will have to go out the window.

Yeah, I absolutely love the new substrate. Just straight eco looks a lot cleaner than having the gravel mixed into it. I'm really aching to get more plants in there. Painting the back with the Valspar satin black latex made a HUGE difference too. The whole tank just looks cleaner and put together.

I was in the area of my LFS today and was super tempted to go pick some pots of swords but I managed to resist.

I know one thing, once I land a job I'm buying a freaking jungle to put in this thing.

Back
Top Bottom