75 gallon reef build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When in doubt kill it... it's not worth the risk. (sounds like an army or police force slogan in about 10-15 years)

Depends on how long it takes for it to reestablish itself. I haven't kept a birdnest, but my montipora frag took about a week from being brown before it took on a neon green tint. Three or so weeks before it looked like the parent though.

I'm sure it varies tank to tank and species to species.

Birdsnest already has a little more than 1/8" of growth on all tips with several new tips started. May be turning more of a pink color too, still hard to tell though. I also got a lunar zoa polyp that hasnt opened yet in my tank. When I picked it up it wasnt open either. I can see the closed polyp with a very bright orange center spec.

think I should be worried about the zoas? What do dead/dieing zoas look like?

EDIT: This lunar zoa has melted away, I had a feeling it was no good when I picked it up. Getting a replacement tomorrow. And it will be open before I take it home...

Will peppermint shrimp munch on corals? someone recently told me they would.

Dead or dieing zoas just look closed up, they will slowly shrink and then just disappear. I've had some odd weird ones that just die for no reason when the rest of my polyps are all happy, maybe I didn't acclimate them well enough, who knows.

I've heard of sexy shrimp eating zoas if they are starving but if they are kept well fed they should be fine. I don't know if it's the same for peppermints, I'd assume so since they will eat aiptasias as well. Just make sure your peppermint gets some food and you should be fine.

no. peppermint shrimp won't eat corals, but just make sure you don't get sold camelback shrimp instead- they do eat corals.
you can see them both here...
peppermint-
p-78505-shrimp.jpg

camelback-

images

The drip could be a number of things, but usually it is adding Kalkwasser, a very good and inexpensive way to raise calcium levels, but must be added very slowly to not raise Ph.

I should think if the conditions are right it would color up in a week, unless it bleached, which it doesn't sound like it has.

I have actually used chewing gum, well chewed first to hold a frag. But I think the "potable" epoxy putty available at the hardware store works fine.

Have a new RBTA, green button polyps, and green duncans. Looking to get a royal gramma.

Im getting ready to purchase a coralife pure-flo II ro/di unit from aquacon.com... They have them on sale right now for $110.99 It is a 24gallon/day unit. Anyone have any info on them? good/bad rep?

i have that same one works good i havent had any problems from it

Seems a bit high for something that only gives 24g/day, unless it is doing a 1/1 conversion of water (very efficient).

i got my coralife ro/di from a lfs for pretty cheap i know the owner and i have the 50G a day model so im happy with it but several people have purchased that ro/di unit on ebay for around 60-70 bucks i'll try to find a link

Back
Top Bottom