75 gallon stocking suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

darkkan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently got a 75 gallon its all cycled
I currently have some fish which I'll list in a bit but I was just wondering if you guys had any suggestions for additions?

Note: all of these fish get along well there have been no bad interactions even before I transferred them.

Right now I have:
2 angels both about 3"
2 blue gouramis
5 neon tetra (I'll be relocating them into a ten gallon I have)
2 black mollies (also relocating)
2 juvenile neon goby
1 juvenile Chinese algae water ( I know they get big I plan on upgrading by then)
And
1 rope fish
Subtract the mollies and the Tetras I'll have 8 fish
Any ideas or suggestions on what to add?

What fun! Because they generally school, I have been instructed to always have at least three of each type of fish I have in my tank (with some exceptions). It's good to consider what area of the aquarium the fish favor so that you have top dwellers, bottom dwellers, and some in between. Corys (two will work), danios, platys, rainbowfish, rasbora, and swordtails are possibilities. Total 30 fish might be a manageable number depending on the size of the fish you choose. I wonder why the tetras and mollies (plus one) aren't moving to the big tank? This is likely of little help but I see you're new to the forum and wanted you to have some timely reply. Welcome and good luck!

What fun! Because they generally school, I have been instructed to always have at least three of each type of fish I have in my tank (with some exceptions). It's good to consider what area of the aquarium the fish favor so that you have top dwellers, bottom dwellers, and some in between. Corys (two will work), danios, platys, rainbowfish, rasbora, and swordtails are possibilities. Total 30 fish might be a manageable number depending on the size of the fish you choose. I wonder why the tetras and mollies (plus one) aren't moving to the big tank? This is likely of little help but I see you're new to the forum and wanted you to have some timely reply. Welcome and good luck!

Hi and thanks for the suggestions (:)
I'm moving the little guys to a planted tank I don't think I mentioned that but I just thought they'd liven it up a bit

I'm a big fan of all rainbows. In a 75G you should have plenty of room for them as well.

Cory's should always be kept in groups of 6+, otherwise they will have a tendency to hide and won't show the behavior that makes them great for a community tank.

Cory's should always be kept in groups of 6+, otherwise they will have a tendency to hide and won't show the behavior that makes them great for a community tank.

Do you think they'd be okay with the angels? They aren't violent but they tend to nip

The corys should be OK with the angels, but the gourami and angels will probably have issues when either species spawn or show breeding behavior. Quite frankly I'm surprised you haven't had any issues already, it's probably only a matter of time. As both species grow they can become more aggressive and territorial like flipping on light switch.

Although not an expert on angels a d ropefish, only know what I read and only remember 1/2of that, believe you will have aggression problems with the angels and water quality/space issues with the rope fish.

The corys should be OK with the angels, but the gourami and angels will probably have issues when either species spawn or show breeding behavior. Quite frankly I'm surprised you haven't had any issues already, it's probably only a matter of time. As both species grow they can become more aggressive and territorial like flipping on light switch.

Although not an expert on angels a d ropefish, only know what I read and only remember 1/2of that, believe you will have aggression problems with the angels and water quality/space issues with the rope fish.

I've had the rope for a couple years now and he seems to be doing fairly well, he's always tryna escape but that's expected for such a snakelike fish
As for the gouramis and angels I'm 95% sure they're all the same gender. I've had them for a little over half a year. Originally I wasn't going to get the angels because they might be aggressive but my cousin was moving so he needed to rehome them

The only problems I've really had were my mollies gave birth and all the fry were eaten but that's not much of a shock
I think I'll get some Corey's and see how it plays out, if there's aggression I have another tank I can move them to
Thanks for the help :)

Information on the rope fish, not recommended for aggressive tankmates.

http://animals.mom.me/care-rope-fish-6042.html

Not to be mean, but this is why research is your friend!

No worries I do admit I should've done more research before I got him
He was one of the first fish in the tank and the others were added later
He's got plenty of hiding spots and what not I haven't witnessed the other fish showing any aggression to him but I guess that can change with time thanks for the info

It's your tank and as long as they get along. Would just be afraid to wake up to a fishpocolypse! Many have had utopia then one day not, nothing is for certain. Good Luck going forward.

It's your tank and as long as they get along. Would just be afraid to wake up to a fishpocolypse! Many have had utopia then one day not, nothing is for certain. Good Luck going forward.

I'd hate to lose all my little guys but hopefully it'll turn out okay. Thank you for all the help!

Back
Top Bottom