75 Gallon tank setup journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NonazARk

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So for Christmas my DH bought for me a group of used tanks. 3x 75, 3x 29, and a 55 that needs resealing (probably will become a terrarium/Palundarium).

ONE of the 75 gallon tanks is going to become a Saltwater tank**. So, I want very much to do this right and will be posting here as I get things setup and running.

Input is HIGHLY appreciated (and encouraged)!

I have a nice sump/trickle and a HOB overflow. Decent light for fish-only. Can add a second T5 if needed, though - eventually I'd like to upgrade to a pair of 60deg LED pucks (in time) [brand name escapes me].

My goal is to have a collection of colorful fish which get along - my list includes Yellow Tang (a personal favorite), a clownfish, pygmy angel, I would like a mandarin :facepalm: but understand I may have to wait until I get a reef setup for a mandarin to be happy, a number of invertebrates if possible. Gobies would be awesome as well. I want colorful, spritely, community fish. I'd also like the fish to be reef compatable so in the future* when the tank is moved I can update/upgrade to a reef tank and house the same fish in the improved tank.

I'd like a small refugium with macro algae, one of the 29 gallon tanks may be used for this next to the wet/dry under the main tank.

I have also considered sectioning off a part of the tank as a 'calm' section where I can raise dwarf seahorses, perhaps an end? Sand and turtle grass in this section with some additional macro algae for hitching posts.

I have lots of ideas, and am having a time of it making final decisions. (y)

Help! and Thanks!!

*We will be moving in one to two years; THIS is the primary reason I am sticking with fish-only right now.

**I had a 5 gal nanoreef that was stable for 2 years before I moved and left the tank in my mom's care for three weeks ... not sure what she did (or didn't do) but it collapsed two weeks after I left.

MERRY CHRISTMAS 2013 and HAPPY NEW YEAR 2014!! :thanks:

Back
Top Bottom