75g rescape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goatnad

Aquarium Advice FINatic
yep you read it right. im back with yet another tank hehe :). this is my 75 gallon tank and i have been terribly displeased with it. it never took off like i wanted it to so ive decided to rescape it. why you ask? because i bought this today!

H2h45a9.jpg

AEDPfco.jpg

i found this giant piece at my lfs and decided it would be perfect for the 75 gallon tank. its probably 40+ inches long and my 75g is probably around 36 inches(i havent actually measured either but i intend to) so i will have to cut it down just a bit unless i find a way to lay it in just right. this will be a planted driftwood only tank and from the initial look this piece will most likely have to be placed just about dead center of the tank.

plants i have ordered for possible use in this tank:
alternanthera rosanervig tropica sunset
ludwigia sp. mini 'super red'
cryptocoryne walkeri
hydrocotyle tripartita 'japan'

i also have the probably 20-30 other species of plants i already have that i can use but might go with some other new stuff like more crypts.

this will be a long process of planting and setup. it wont be as fast as my previous tanks since im going all out on this one. pressurized co2, eheim 2217 canister filter, light(question will come later), dirted tank as usual.

livestock:
im thinking 4 angel fish(i already have 1), 20 celestial pearl danios, albino bristlenose pleco and who knows what else if anything. i would like to go with some shrimp but im worried the angelfish will just eat them. if you dont think this is a good combo or have other recommendations please feel free to voice them. im all ears.

here is the tank now. i know say it. ITS UGLY AS S**T! lol.

w2rKnGQ.jpg

now for the lighting. im looking for a light that can reach deep, as in 24 inches deep but is adjustable so i can dial it in. i need something with high light. price isnt so much an issue but im not looking to spend $500 dollars on a light. please if you think you have a recommendation then post it. as i stated before this is going to be a long build of probably 2 months and when the build does happen i will be selling off alot of the plants in this tank for very very low prices. i will be taking all of the money made off the plant sells to help pay for this endeavor. so there it is, let me know what you think and any help that can be offered.

Subscribed. This is going to be fun to watch. :popcorn:

The standard 75g is 48" long, so, unless yours is a custom job, your driftwood should fit. (Beautiful piece, too.)

You could have more angels in that tank, but I wouldn't put CPDs in with them: they're small enough that the angels will see them as buffet snacks. Something larger and faster, such as a large school of bloodfins or rummynoses, would be beautiful.

Also (and you probably also know this, but, just in case), you might well get a breeding pair from those angels, in which case they will claim and aggressively defend a good chunk of that tank. Just something to keep in mind.

(y)

Subscribed. This is going to be fun to watch. :popcorn:

The standard 75g is 48" long, so, unless yours is a custom job, your driftwood should fit. (Beautiful piece, too.)

You could have more angels in that tank, but I wouldn't put CPDs in with them: they're small enough that the angels will see them as buffet snacks. Something larger and faster, such as a large school of bloodfins or rummynoses, would be beautiful.

Also (and you probably also know this, but, just in case), you might well get a breeding pair from those angels, in which case they will claim and aggressively defend a good chunk of that tank. Just something to keep in mind.

(y)

ok so i finally got out the tape measure and used an aquarium calculator and it seems this tank actually comes out being a 60 gallon tank. its 36"Lx19"Wx20"H. its an older tank from the looks of it. you cant see it but the trim is that simulated wood look. i would guess the tank is from the very late 80's on to the early to mid 90's. i put the wood up against the glass when i got it and could see it would stick out about an inch or so on each end so thats why i figured the wood was 40". i have a 20 gallon long i just did that i was up in the air about doing rummynose or celestial pearls in. i guess with your recommendation in this tank i could do the rummynose and angels and in the 20g do the danios and the one betta i have in there. ive never kept angels before so i did not think about possibly getting a breeding pair. thanks for the heads up. i definitely dont want my $7 dollar celestial pearls to get eaten :nono:

so im trying to work out an idea for the scape of this tank and ive come across 4 possibles i like. let me know which one you like best. i always do tanks with carpets so im thinking of doing one without carpet. im leaning towards #3 right now but have it planted alot more.
flxvqJc.jpg

XE6wflM.jpg

aU0wmoj.jpg

QIWwMCP.jpg

Last edited:
1 & 3. Carpets are a mark of pride, but there is something to be said for negative space. The fish really pop against dark sand...

I like 1 (with light sand and no carpet) or 3.

im liking that idea also. ive used black "sand" on all but 2 scapes ive ever done and thinking light colored sand is the way to go this time.

Agree with FreshCo but then I'm a wood person not a plant person

im going to have to agree with him also.

1 & 3. Carpets are a mark of pride, but there is something to be said for negative space. The fish really pop against dark sand...

popping because of dark sand is very true and how i do love black sand but im thinking this time i want to change it up. i think i will be doing white sand with no carpet.

thanks to all of you for voicing what you like best. seems 1 and 3 with no carpet seems to be the consensus. im leaning towards 1 now since the wood in that scape looks alittle like the wood i will be using. anyone else can still voice which ones you like. i still havent 100% made up my mind.

George Farmer does a lot of scapes with white sand. You might want to check out some of his tanks on YouTube.

George Farmer does a lot of scapes with white sand. You might want to check out some of his tanks on YouTube.

yes i have watched many of his videos. he does amazing work. i think i will go back and take a look at a few of them and see if anything catches my eye. thanks for the recommendation.

The time has finally come to finish this tank. I purchased an eheim professional 4+ 350 canister filter since it was on sale at my lfs. I have gotten in one of the flood lights I will be using for this tank. It's a 50w 6500k light. The other light I will be ordering this week. I also managed to collect around half of the plants I want to put in the tank. Will be looking to get more buce over the next 2 weeks or so to fill some spots. I went ahead and get my angel fish last month and man do those things grow super fast! I had gotten the rummynose tetras in (6 of them) but sadly within 3 days I was down to 2. Not sure why they died. Just came in each day to find 1 or 2 of them floating. I'm wondering if the angels were chasing them. The angels dont chase the 2 that are left so I'm at a loss.

plants:
bucephalandra "green"
bucephalandra "kapuas brownie ghost"
bucephalandra (id'd as godzilla?)
bucephalandra (no clue of the species)
anubias nana petite
anubias barteri "round leaf"
java fern
pogostemon erectus
cyperus helferi
cryptocoryne (2 unknown species)

1Cm73kw.jpg

EUX6ljw.jpg

9d1to5f.jpg

YFq8VEj.jpg

now for the angelfish

czbFTOy.jpg

8WYPwTQ.jpg

4VS3ccj.jpg

3BPojyz.jpg

V4PPXHA.jpg

bG7b47e

its been awhile since i posted on this tank so here i am with an update. so to start off the tank was a disaster and ended in a total break down. diatoms set in super heavy with hair, black beard and staghorn algae following. it became so bad i pulled everything and set the tank back up using pool filter sand. i lost alot of my buce due to algae and a peroxide treatment i did so building back up the population. i added some seiryu stone in layers. i think it looks alot better. i just recently got a very nice shipment in of some bolbitis heudelotii and an unknown species of buce so added that in today.

Wmf7QeP.jpg

xYDTZO3.jpg

OZHPcvj.jpg

bolbitis and buce
KxKpImT.jpg

0YzNSob.jpg

Absolutely beautiful tank. I love the color of that wood. All the spiderwood I have seen has seemed a lot lighter, but that has the color almost of Malaysian driftwood. Dark wood and white sand together are stunning and really make the fish look beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom