75g stand DIY kinda

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jwh0818

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well I just got a brand new free 75g tank! Awesome I know! Im happy! Well I have a stand idea for it. I have this really old hardwood 8track/record player stereo. Its 4ft long as wide as the tank and around 2 1/2 ft tall. Do yall think this is 75g stand material? The thing weighs over 150 lbs. My goal is to gut it and give it sump room. Doable?

Tank with "stand"
img_2696277_0_7e196981cf12796a278fcfdb262a0405.jpg

Front
img_2696277_1_eb48d6c1cbceb6311b5792adf41f6b8a.jpg

Back
img_2696277_2_7176034309ba21991791a6c39d580c8e.jpg

img_2696277_3_633315216d3f8ac22ea8f2eb7b58ff1a.jpg

Congrats on the free tank! But, personally I wouldn't consider it a very good candidate for a stand. It appears to be constructed from 3/4" MDF with minimal frame reinforcing.

When you recall that the water alone is going to weigh 625lbs (8.34lbs per USgal)....plus aquarium, plus substrate, plus decorations, plus equipment...your set-up will likely exceed 700lbs., and I wouldn't trust that construction for that load.

If you're prepared to do some major reinforcing you could make it work, but it would likely be easier to build a new stand from scratch, and then you could select materials that are better suited (MDF expands and becomes brittle if it gets wet).

Last edited:
Congrats on the free tank! But, personally I wouldn't consider it a very good candidate for a stand. It appears to be constructed from 3/4" MDF with minimal frame reinforcing.

When you recall that the water alone is going to weigh 625lbs (8.34lbs per USgal)....plus aquarium, plus substrate, plus decorations, plus equipment...your set-up will likely exceed 700lbs., and I wouldn't trust that construction for that load.

If you're prepared to do some major reinforcing you could make it work, but it would likely be easier to build a new stand from scratch, and then you could select materials that are better suited (MDF expands and becomes brittle if it gets wet).

Welcome to AA! Thankd for the reply. I have already gutted the stand and saw that the majority of the MDF is only used on the bottom. My plan is to rip the bottom off and the back MDF brace and replace is with 1/2 plywood and 2x4's. I will run 2x4's all along the bottom as an added measure and all along the back in a rectangular form om both bottom and back. Then I will add 1/2 plywood to the top and add a few center braces for extra measure. I believe its possible if I replace all the MDF. The complete front and sides are all hardwood

Thanks for the welcome...(I've actually been lurking for some time via the app., but now that I've started to get my tanks back up and running in the new house, I thought I'd try to become more active).

It sounds like you're addressing most of the areas where I was concerned (particularly by adding a frame and replacing the MDF), and that you're well on your way to re-purposing this unit. Good luck, I look forward to seeing it when you're finished...particularly if you add the sump...that's something I'd like to learn more about.

Thanks for the welcome...(I've actually been lurking for some time via the app., but now that I've started to get my tanks back up and running in the new house, I thought I'd try to become more active).

It sounds like you're addressing most of the areas where I was concerned (particularly by adding a frame and replacing the MDF), and that you're well on your way to re-purposing this unit. Good luck, I look forward to seeing it when you're finished...particularly if you add the sump...that's something I'd like to learn more about.

Well im not sure if I wanna add a sump. I dont really want the tank drilled but I do want an overflow

Back
Top Bottom