75g stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
apparently, it's a grouper that eats small live critters and fish, but wont hurt coral. (usually)

If I get one, it will be a very small. I'm just reluctant to get one at all. If you've ever tried to get a fish out of a reef tank, you'll know why.

By the time you get it out, it will be the only fish in the tank.
img_1006967_0_b6a344f28b9dab4830b8451c1cc531e3.gif

my primary worry of small inhabitants, is if I decide to go ahead and get a betta grouper at some point. good info about the multiple peppermints, I hadn't thought of that but a good point.

I have about 125g of water in my 75g system. 35g sump 40g refugium 75g tank. If your worried about water quality, I don't think that's going to be an issue, but if your worried about them being crowded that's a possibility.

You could keep both the tangs but they like ALOT of swimming room. They would not be happy. It is not about just having the fish, it is about making them happy

IMO, it just seems like having two yellow tangs is not a whole lot different than having one, it's very unlikely they would be aggressive to each other, and a 2" fish does not exactly obstruct the swimming area of another 2" fish. now, if 4 feet is not enough length for this species of tang, that's another story, but I don't quite understand how, if the tank is big enough for 1, it's not big enough for 2. Given we assume water and food quality.

On the contrary it's easy to see how if the tank is big enough for 1, it may not big enough for 5, as an example. Unless we were talking about a semi aggressive species, then in fact having 5 may be more beneficial than having 2 (possibly spreading the aggression out amongst the lot.)

anybody care to shed some light on this for me? Thoughts, experiences? hard evidence?

The swimming pattern of that shape of tang it seems(compared to say the hippo tang) is a fast paced maze type of line. That said 2 tangs introduced at the same will tolerate one or the other more than being introduced at different times. The reason being is they both establish separate territories and the opposite would be one tang not knowing the others boundaries. In a 75 gallon I myself would say 1 yellow tang and maybe a hippo tang. Once the tangs get larger I would be worried they would be cramped. If you think about it a 75 gallon number one does not have 75 gallons of swim space. Nor does it have 75 gallons of water. More or less 70 gallons of water and depending on how much live rock about 30-40 gallons of swim space. To make the tang happy get one yellow tang. The hippo tang is basically one big dummy who does not have such an intricate swim pattern. Those two would be fine.

The swimming pattern of that shape of tang it seems(compared to say the hippo tang) is a fast paced maze type of line. That said 2 tangs introduced at the same will tolerate one or the other more than being introduced at different times. The reason being is they both establish separate territories and the opposite would be one tang not knowing the others boundaries. In a 75 gallon I myself would say 1 yellow tang and maybe a hippo tang. Once the tangs get larger I would be worried they would be cramped. If you think about it a 75 gallon number one does not have 75 gallons of swim space. Nor does it have 75 gallons of water. More or less 70 gallons of water and depending on how much live rock about 30-40 gallons of swim space. To make the tang happy get one yellow tang. The hippo tang is basically one big dummy who does not have such an intricate swim pattern. Those two would be fine.

Ok, that's some really fuzzy math. How does a 75G tank end up with a total of 100 - 110G of space (70G of water + 30-40G of "swimming space")? Water displacement is pretty well set. It depends on temp and salinity, but can be estimated at 8# / G. So if you go with the suggested 1#/G of LR to a 75G tank, you lose nearly 10G of water due to weight displacement. Water volume can be increased with a sump and the associated plumbing, but "swimming space" still has me perplexed.

I get what he's saying, I think it's more of a hypothetical set of numbers, basically saying that

[a 75g tank does not mean it has 75g worth of room to swim] Which makes sense in it's own without throwing out arbitrary numbers.

I get it, but the numbers aren't arbitrary. They can be calculated. The swimming space thing will depend on the makeup and relative weight (density) of the rock, but that's really the only incalculable value. Forgive me if I'm hung up on this, but 10 years on a sub and trimming the boat leads to no room for errors.

I believe he is talking about the water displacement after the rock is added.

Water displacement after the rock will only be due to submerged equipment, corals, fish etc. Anything not water placed into water will displace water. The amount is determined by the weight of the objects, not their area.

Im no scientist nor do I claim to be a mathematician. They indeed were rough numbers and yes the 30 - 40 gallons of actual swim space was relative to the amount of live rock in the aquarium.

Back
Top Bottom