75g stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jenema

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm thinking about getting a 75g cichlid tank. I know someone who is getting rid of a tank and she is getting me a price. If it is a good deal I will grab it. Other than a GBR the I owned, I really don't know much about them right now (obviously research will be done). I've been really drawn to Central and South American cichlids. But I'm open to anything! So if you had a 75g tank, how would you stock it? Or if you have one already, what do you have? Open to any and all suggestions.

Sent from my HTCONE using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have a 75 gallon. I used to have Africans because I wanted a lot of fish. However, it cost a lot of money to start and because you can "overstock" your tank you can essentially keep buying more and more fish until you know you have too much. That was great, but it really cost a lot of money. Recently I just switched over to SA and got a flowerhorn. Now the tank looks better, and I don't have to keep buying more fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I will be upgrading to a 75 in a few months I only have a jack Dempsey right now.

Some species I like: Firemouth, green terror, Oscar, Texas, jack Dempsey.

If your looking for a wet pet check out the Oscars, JD, or go check out mikem's amphilophus lyonsi, its one of my favorite fish here. There are some really knowledgeable sa cichlid guys here, freakgecko being one name I remember off top.

My 75 is currently stocked with:
15 Cardinal terra
2 wc apistogramma cacatuoides
1 apistogramma kelleri (will be a pair and the cacatuoides will be moved)
8 guianacara cf. dacrya

Narrow it down a bit more for us...several fish? One fish? Peaceful? Aggressive? Bright colors? Outstanding behavior? Common? Rare?

My 75 is currently stocked with:
15 Cardinal terra
2 wc apistogramma cacatuoides
1 apistogramma kelleri (will be a pair and the cacatuoides will be moved)
8 guianacara cf. dacrya

Narrow it down a bit more for us...several fish? One fish? Peaceful? Aggressive? Bright colors? Outstanding behavior? Common? Rare?

All of the above lol. Definitely want more that one fish, more 5 would be ideal. Probably peaceful but I'm not dead set. I would prefer some color but it doesn't have to be crazy. I love fish with a lot of personality. Common or rare doesn't matter as long as I can find them and they aren't extremely expensive.

Firemouth, Severum, and keyhole cichlids get a decent size and work in most community tanks.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

South American would probably suit you better. There are many peaceful cichlids from South America, however, many of them are small or harder to find. Although, there are several genera of centrals that would fit the bill as well. A good idea is to go to several local fish stores, and write down all the cichlids you see, or better yet, take pictures of them and their labels. Then research and weed out the africans, the Giants, the aggressives, etc. then let us know what your list drops down to. I could tell you many species, but many are not readily available

300gal, fully planted. Angels, apistos, discus, GBR & electric blue rams, 2 bettas, several cardinal, neon, and green tetras, 15 clown loaches, skirt tetras, 6 cuban limas..... you cut out the loaches, discus and limas and it would all work on a smaller scale in a 75.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1429430530066.jpg
    1429430530066.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 121
  • 1429430549878.jpg
    1429430549878.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 85
Or this 120 is a south american ram (all kinds), and angel fish tank.

Attachments

• 1429430637544.jpg
    1429430637544.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 94
Okay, since people were asking what kinds of cichlids I liked, I did a little research. These are the ones that caught my eye (note: I didn't fully look into if all of these are suitable for a 75 gallon). Kribensis, apistos, rams, rainbows, Angelfish, discus, blue acara, convicts, Jack Dempsey, green severum, Oscars, green terror, texas cichlid, keyholes, and jewel cichlids. So any stocking suggestions with any of these would be greatly appreciated.

Okay, since people were asking what kinds of cichlids I liked, I did a little research. These are the ones that caught my eye (note: I didn't fully look into if all of these are suitable for a 75 gallon). Kribensis, apistos, rams, rainbows, Angelfish, discus, blue acara, convicts, Jack Dempsey, green severum, Oscars, green terror, texas cichlid, keyholes, and jewel cichlids. So any stocking suggestions with any of these would be greatly appreciated.

Oscar species only tank. They are very messy

I believe a JD and a GT could work.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

A female blue acara looks similar to a green terror and you have a better chance of it coexisting peacefully if you went that route.

You still haven't said if you'd prefer a single wet pet or if you'd prefer multiple fish in the tank.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Thats a mighty list. Zeroing in on a few might help.

A female blue acara looks similar to a green terror and you have a better chance of it coexisting peacefully if you went that route.

You still haven't said if you'd prefer a single wet pet or if you'd prefer multiple fish in the tank. But I would prefer no pairs, I don't want to end up with fry.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I apologize, I thought I addressed that. I definitely prefer multiple fish, basically as many as can happily live together.

Back
Top Bottom