75L freshwater tank - what to put into it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tuck

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi, I've been keeping a small tank for about 6 months now and really started to enjoy it, I'm still relatively new to this so for now I'm sticking with cold water and not venturing into tropical just yet. Anyway I recently invested In a new Juwel tank it's 24"x12"x12" and I think it holds around 70-75L and I'm wondering what to put into it. I've had it running for 3 days now and I used 50% of the water from my current tank to try and speed up the cycling. And now all my levels seem good so I'm ready to add fish.

I was looking into some fancy goldfish like black moors and the likes but from what I've read they need a lot of space and seem very vulnerable to accidents and infections, which again I don't think I'm set up for just yet.

So my question is this: "What fish can I add to my tank to give a good variation of size and colour?"

Thanks in advance :)

Look into white cloud mountain minnows. They live in room temperature or even colder conditions and are pretty hardy,have some nice color AND are pretty fun to watch :) I think they are way better than goldfish because you can keep so many of them in one tank rather than ONE goldfish.

Look into white cloud mountain minnows. They live in room temperature or even colder conditions and are pretty hardy,have some nice color AND are pretty fun to watch :) I think they are way better than goldfish because you can keep so many of them in one tank rather than ONE goldfish.

Yeah I have some WCMM in my smaller tank and they are great to watch, I think I might even go for a similar set up and maybe add a single male paradise fish. Or would he not be compatible, also my other tank is purely plastics but what is a good selection of hardy plants for a beginner like myself?

hmmmmm not sure about paradise fish but Iv seen them with bettas in alot of different setups... Simple lowlight plants are Hornwart, java fern, javamoss, moneywart, duckweed, dwarfhair grass although some people argue. ( I find dwarf hair grass does fine just doesnt spread alot in low light) and.. there is alot others those are just some that I have experience with/ know the names of. :)

Thanks for that Graigrets :) I will see what I can find in the local pet shop. I'm always weary of taking the sales mans advice as I'm not convinced he knows a **** thing about fish other than the price...
Would 75L be large enough for a single Shubunkin? (I think that's how it's spelt) and maybe a few WCMM?

No to the Shubunkin most big goldfish like that are good for ponds or big tanks sorry....75L is around 15gallons??c Id be willing to help you with other stocking ideas.

No to the Shubunkin most big goldfish like that are good for ponds or big tanks sorry....75L is around 15gallons??c Id be willing to help you with other stocking ideas.

Yeah I thought as much, did a quick conversion and 75L is 19.8Gal(US) so I'm assuming its a 20G tank? So yeah all feedback is good feedback haha :) stocking ideas please :)

Also another thing, since my tank is still cycling is there any fish that will help speed up a cycle or is it best to just wait till I've got all my levels right first?

24 1/4 x 12 1/2 x 12 3/4 is a 15 I just did a measurements to gallons....Don't know why it didn't dawn on be since I have the same tank! lol. you have quite afew different options depending on how "cold" your tank is, Also by adding a heater, don't know exact price but under 20$ (here in Canada) would give you more options...

Right now you could do
#1 6 white cloud mountain minnows 2 big golden apple snails or a few other smaller snails.
#2 6 White clouds and 30 or so small shrimp ( red cherry shrimp, Chrystal's ect)
#3 5 Zebra Danio maybe a snail or 2
#4 Some barbs can work or some tetras work in cold water...Proabably 5 tetras OR 5 barbs

The shrimp would be great I've never had them before and it would a new experience, what kind of food/care do shrimps need, would algae wafers be ok for them? And would I need a heater? The tank is slightly above room temperature because of the light so it varies around 72-77 I would say.

The shrimp would be great I've never had them before and it would a new experience, what kind of food/care do shrimps need, would algae wafers be ok for them? And would I need a heater? The tank is slightly above room temperature because of the light so it varies around 72-77 I would say.

Red cherry shrimp are very easy and can be cheap depending on where you love. They are very cheap from breeders and a lot more from chain stores. I let lots of algae grow on rocks in my tank plus they get some left over food fish don't eat. You can also feed also wafers cut up and fresh veggies

I'll have a look what my local pet shop has to offer if not ill look around online and see what I can find :) thanks for all your help

Ok so me and my girlfriend went to the pets tore today just to get a few decorations and things for the tank and we started looking at the fish on offer, and we've decided to go with a tropical tank. We both really liked the wide range of tetras on offer. So again I'm looking for advice what's the best temperature for a wide range of tropical fish? Also will the plants that Craig suggested be ok in a warmer tank?

Hmmmm I think most standard/cheaper heaters you would see at a chain store come pre set at 78f which is fine for most fish, including white clouds :) and I don't think plants care about heat...unless its very hot/very cold.

Hmmmm I think most standard/cheaper heaters you would see at a chain store come pre set at 78f which is fine for most fish, including white clouds :) and I don't think plants care about heat...unless its very hot/very cold.

I've brought a "Algarde 100 watt" heater. It wasn't the cheapest there was but it wasn't the most expensive either. It has adjustable settings between 72-90f.

My tank at the minute. I've also got 2 pieces of wood soaking in a bowl which I will put in tomorrow. :)

image-2946999702.jpg

Back
Top Bottom