78gal. First time cichlid tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JackHammer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I have recently been told I can have a friends 78 gallon (298 liter) tank for free, I already have a tropical tank and a shrimp tank so I am wanting to try cichlids.

I have decided on Lake Malawi Mbuna and I will use Texas holy rock on sand and crushed coral.

As I have never had cichlids however, I am not sure what to stock the tank with.

Anyone got any Mbuna they really like or dislike?

Any tips for keeping a Mbuna tank would also be appreciated.

Cheers

I love my Acei cichlids.. love their color and there less aggressive than most other cichlids. I also have Kenyi Cichilds and demasoni cichlids

Everyone has likes and dislikes about Mbuna. Just a warning Mbuna will be chasing each other all day long. It personally stresses me out so I don't like them. I even tried doing a tank of Acei and Labs (supposedly the most peaceful). I added one ornery male and the balance was off never to be recovered. Even after I removed the problem fish another one took its place.

If you are doing it for the color look at peacock cichlids I love my peacocks. They give chase to each other every once in a while but nobody is getting beat up on. The color is outstanding!

Not trying to be awkward but in my tank it's the peacocks that do all the chasing round annoying me

If you stock it right fish shouldnt be dying to begin with.. of course you may get 1 bad egg from time to time but most of the time accurate stocking and environment and there isnt a problem ;)

To start with are there any you like or favorite colors you want .. personally i would stick with more peaceful-mildly aggressive cichlid

The labidochromis species is good but only one as many have had bad luck mixing the species ( ex. white labs and yellow labs) the cynotilipia afras also are good and stay smaller the pseudotropus elongatus.. just a few to look up and if you want a catfish for a bottom feeder you can look up synodontis

Here is a article to kinda help out some

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/lake-malawi-aquarium-stocking-cichlids/

Back
Top Bottom