8 gallon to 29 gallon help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shookerdo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, this my first post. I'm a life long fish lover and have been maintaining a tank for about a year at this point. I've had betas my whole life but they aren't the most interesting fish.

Currently I have a 8 gallon tank with 5 Pearl Danios in it that are doing great but I decided I want to upgrade my tank to a 29 gallon and get them some company.

The second part is where I need help. I was wondering what fish and how many would be good to join my Danios. I've heard you should stay away from that "1 inch for 1 gallon" rule so that's why I came here. I really want to stay away from anything remotely aggressive.

I know I'm going to want some to help me with keeping the tank clean. I was thinking maybe a few ghost shrimp, an algae eater and/or a snail. Any suggestions?

I'm also debating on getting a few live plants but my tank gets very little natural light and I don't want to leave my tank light on constantly.

I know the basics of keeping a tank but as I could use all of the help you can offer. Thanks

Welcome to AA. Afraid I can't help you out much with the fish part, as I don't really keep many of the traditional tropical fish. Snails can be great on algae control, but depending on species may become an issue in and of themselves. Live plants are IMO an awesome addition to aquariums. If you pick up some low light demanding plants, you can keep them successfully with normal flourescent lights. You may want to consider adding a second strip light with either a single or double bulb and replacing the regular bulbs with plant bulbs. I'm sure some others will be along soon and give you more detail, but as you start figuring out specifics you may want to create some additional threads with more specific titles. Hope that helps.

How could snails become an issue? I have no experience with them so I'm kind of in the dark about it.

How could snails become an issue? I have no experience with them so I'm kind of in the dark about it.

Some species of snails can/will reproduce in an aquarium and can quickly overpopulate. Since their offspring sometimes number in the 1,000s, you can image what an aquarium without a predator to keep the population under control would look like.

Back
Top Bottom