8 ppm!?!?!?!?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Platiesareawesome

Aquarium Advice Freak
Okay, so I have just started my fishless cycle recently. After a few days, my dad bought a mat for me to put under my tank to prevent my dresser from rusting (the ammonia had not dropped yet anyway). I performed a 95% water change so I could pick up my tank to put the mat underneath it. After that, I tested my water (I use the API master test kit), and oddly the ammonia level was still at 1 ppm. I refiled my tank, and added 1 DROP of ammonia (The ammonia I use is ace hardware brand ammonia) I tested my ammonia 30 minutes later, and the ammonia has jumped up to what looks like between 4 and 8 ppm! Is this okay?

I'd say yes I know with high nitrites which you'll have next soon hopefully you may have to do multiple large water changes to get them down so I wouldn't worry too much about the ammo not going away because of a water change. Id be more worried about the mat under the tank absorbing water and damaging your dresser you'd probably be better off quickly drying any oops water. Plus you'll probably have condensation that that'll form under the mat from the warmth of the tank

If it's really 8 it's too high, I'd get it down to 4-5 at most. If the ammonia is too high it can stall things. With that said I don't think one drop of ammonia would spike it that high. Maybe try the test again in case there was an error; try shaking the bottles before you use them too. Also test your tap water and see if any of the ammonia is coming from there.

If it was a fish-less cycle where did the ammonia ammonia come from?

Back
Top Bottom