80 Gallon New Setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

plumwd

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just purchased this tank and stand on Craigslist last Friday. The guy I bought it from told me it was 100 gallons, but from doing the measurements I can see the volume is really 80 gallons. I'm okay with that ;)

I stripped the stand and refinished it. Will have to get some better photos to post here.

Currently filling the tank. I'm using pool filter sand for my substrate. The filter, canopy, and lights should be here today.

I'm planning a community tank, but haven't completely decided what to put in here just yet. Thinking of apistos, gouramis, and more tiger barbs. Any thoughts on that?

https://plus.google.com/photos/105972045046165978498/albums/5993766024154023281

How do your tiger barbs normally get on out of interest? I've looked at them in the shop and decided to go with rosy barbs instead.

I think tiger barbs are super cool. I love their feisty nature.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Day 13 and we have some nitrites! I've had 5ppm of nitrates for a couple of days now but finally saw a speck of nitrites. Guessing around .10ppm. Ammonia dropped from 4 to 2 since yesterday.

Tank is looking good! You stripped and restained that pretty fast! Very nice looking, i like the new stain color.

It was a lot easier to stain than I thought it would be. I've never stained before so it was a fun and interesting experience. Learned some things to make sure to do next time and others to NOT do ;)

Waiting on my plants, I think they'll be here today. The guy was super slow to ship so I've been waiting nearly 2 weeks. Excited to get this rolling.

This morning my results were even better:

Ammonia: 1.5ppm
Nitrites: .25ppm
Nitrates: 30ppm

Just received some media from Mr Fisher and have it in my filter. Hoping this boosts the cycle.

Your nitrates are right where you want them to be 50% percent water change and I think your ready

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

She said nitrates at 30 that means its cycled do a 50% water change and thatll take care of remaining ammonia

I wouldn't do that as ammonia and nitrites will be at 0 in a cycled tank. The presence of either means you have additional stress on new fish (apart from any damage it might do) which is generally the time you can least afford it.

Well sure figured a good size water change would take out little hit of ammonia and nitrites left

I never updated when this cycle was complete. I added fish after I had zero ammonia and nitrite for several days in a row. Tank is super healthy and fish are thriving.

In the big tank I have 10 tiger barbs and 4 Cory catfish. I had 7 gouramis but they all got sick and died save for one.

Back
Top Bottom