80 gallon tank big enough for 2 goldfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PitbullsareAngels

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a comet which moving to a 55 orginaly but I was wondering if bump up to about 75-80 gallons I can have a secound fish like a shubunkin. both types get abit over 1 foot.

Yup, you'd be fine. I would get a canister filter or something for it if you don't already.

The footprint on an 80 gallon high is 48 7/8" X 14" X 30 3/4". A 75 gallon has a footprint of 48 1/2" X 18 1/2" X 21 3/8".

As you mention, each of the fish you have (and want) can get over a foot in length.

Visualize being 12+ inches long and turning in a space 14 inches or 18 1/2 inches deep.

sharpchick you saying I need 200+ gallon tank? because 100 is the same width space and 125 has less width space, 150 is less width space........ Also I did see a video of a 12 inch goldfish turning perfectly in a 75 gallon tank no problem and not looking for 80 gallon high...why would I want tall? I would look for a standard 80 gallon, also every tank is diffrent after all I'm not buying brand new I'm looking around online and stuff. Plus isnt it better they get this then there most likely fate which is in a fish bowl or small tank or feed to other fish because the comet I have his a feeder plus there super small people automanicly think they stay that way..... plus one day I plan to build a pond for them but thats like 5years down the road probly.

sharpchick you saying I need 200+ gallon tank? because 100 is the same width space and 125 has less width space, 150 is less width space........ Also I did see a video of a 12 inch goldfish turning perfectly in a 75 gallon tank no problem and not looking for 80 gallon high...why would I want tall? I would look for a standard 80 gallon, also every tank is diffrent after all I'm not buying brand new I'm looking around online and stuff. Plus isnt it better they get this then there most likely fate which is in a fish bowl or small tank or feed to other fish because the comet I have his a feeder plus there super small people automanicly think they stay that way..... plus one day I plan to build a pond for them but thats like 5years down the road probly.

Actually, their "fate" should be a pond now.

Comets, commons and shubunkins are pond fish. People who keep them responsibly in tanks keep them in - yes - tanks of hundreds of gallons.

You might want to read through this thread at The Pond Forum, where the OP asks about conversion of a ~400 gallon indoor water feature he wanted to convert into a pond. He wanted to put a comet or shubunkin in it. And was told it was too small for those fish, but fancies would be fine.

People cram plecs into 10 gallon tanks every day, and say the same thing you have...that when the fish gets larger, they will move it into an appropriate environment. But you haven't done that yet. You said you started with a 55, now how about a 75 or 80?

You asked for feedback. I gave you mine. There is no law that says you need to pay attention to what I said.

Back
Top Bottom