8g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

czcz

Aquarium Advice Addict
Before a big prune. If you want free Pogostemon Stellata trims, PM me.

Attachments

• tank_0710.jpg
    tank_0710.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 229
  • tank_sump0710.jpg
    tank_sump0710.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 139
  • rightside_868.jpg
    rightside_868.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 165
more

Attachments

• viewfromrightcorner_0710.jpg
    viewfromrightcorner_0710.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 56
  • kuhlii0709.jpg
    kuhlii0709.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 56
  • gertrudae_0710_insect.jpg
    gertrudae_0710_insect.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 55
P. stellata and homage to Travis.

Attachments

• tank0710_3qtr.jpg
    tank0710_3qtr.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 80
  • pogostemonstellata_0710.jpg
    pogostemonstellata_0710.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 69
I love them tanks, They look great. Is there any thing in them ? 8O

Heh, yeah. They're pretty small and theres lots of places to hide, so its kind of a treat to see them. I have 4 psuedomugil gertrudae, 4 kuhlii loaches, 3 otoinclus, and a hillstream loach. There's a couple cherry, amano, bumble/bee, rednosed, and a ghost shrimp in there too, but I'm not too sure about the bee because I haven't seen any for a while. All pics are the same tank, except for the full shot showing the tank and sump.

Hope this helps: In the first pic, you can see a psuedomugil gertrudae female ("spotted blue-eyed rainbowfish") in the top right, in front of the brazillian pennywort. In the main tank pic there's a cherry shrimp on the glosso, just left of dead center. I think I see a red nosed shrimp on the P. stellata in the same pic. One of my kuhli loaches was out and he's messing with the glosso, so there's a pic showing his barbells in the second post. Thats all I can see at the moment.

I'm feeling lazy and really don't want to trim it, because this is the best its ever looked I think. I might post more pics of critters if I can take good ones.

Thanks, man. Rotala rotundifolia.

Heh. I don't know if this will help you, but I got the stuff as Rotala indica and it was stringy/leggy. Halving it and replanting top half didn't help much, but laying down stems and the top ~1" of a few stems let it come back all bushy and wild. There's now Rotala macandra growing up beside it. You're welcome to either or both these plants when its time to hack it down again. May be a month or more, though. Just call dibs :)

huh...that's pretty odd. you mean the stem was horizontal on the substrate, and then new shoots emerged from the leaf nodes?
anyway, if it works, who cares how you did it...and i do want a few of the p. stellata stems next time you prune, and wouldn't mind a few rotala macrandra, despite having a lot of red :mrgreen: .

Cool. It may be hard to tell from the pics, but the horizontal growth over the wood sent out vertical stems at about every third node. The side to side of the main bush is partly from the same type of growth off the laid down, horizontal stems mentioned previously. It seems dependent that the stems not be shaded for this to work, and it takes a while to get going.

in my case, whenever i have laid any stem even at an angle from the vertical, it has straightened out fairly quickly. i attributed this behavior to lower light intensity. but i'll give it a try nonetheless. for sometime now i've been thinking of using the brazilian pennywort as a foreground laid down horizontally. i'll let you know how it goes...

in my case, whenever i have laid any stem even at an angle from the vertical, it has straightened out fairly quickly. i attributed this behavior to lower light intensity. but i'll give it a try nonetheless. for sometime now i've been thinking of using the brazilian pennywort as a foreground laid down horizontally. i'll let you know how it goes...

fwiw, I used it as a foreground plant for a few months because I didn't know any better (I thought it was some type of lily). I pinched the stem between the substrate and a rock, and the plant sort of creeped into crevices itself. Neat effect but a PITA to keep down after loaches mess with it. Tried weights but couldnt keep them hidden, but used light substrate. HTH some.

Great looking plants Joe :) Does your P. stellata seem to crave the light as much I've noticed mine does? Once it starts getting close its growth rate really seems to accelerate. Before I know it, it's hit the top of the tank and is bending over :p

Man, I have not had a more rewarding and responsive plant. P. stellata was first planted under 3.25wpg, where bottom leaves were shrivelled and it sent side shoots before I could really appreciate the tips. For the past month its under 5wpg and its turning into a healthy plant. When I trimmed, the tips had barely spread on the surface. The leaves directly under the light were really beautiful, man, the underside very purple. After trim the tips recessed and the leaves have turned yellow and look sick, with no fert changes. (It's cloudy from Plantex.) I hope they recover, and my goal is to get these guys to 10" with no side shoots. I wonder how dependent P. stellata is on roots vs. light: maybe trimming the plant while increasing wpg would help it recover faster?

Maybe I should show them pictures of your P. stellata. :p

The P. stellata "Fine Leaf" is such a tricky plant to keep happy. My pic of the P. stellata you linked is of P. stellata "Broad Leaf" which is much easier to keep happy than the fine leaf but doesn't have quite the incredible color variety that the fine leaf can display. It doesn't stunt like the fine leaf will at a moments notice either.

Back
Top Bottom