90 gal setup after years of inactivity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
She broke up (amicably) with her last boyfriend because he had kids and didn't want any more. That was also part of the reason I got divorced; I want kids. Hell, now I have baby fever. Thanks a LOT!

Anyway, that guilt is the Catholic coming out in me...
Two Hail Marys should do it.

Welcome to AA, get baby fish (BAYBEES!!), and just be sure this one likes fish. And that she's strong-you'll want that help with the water changes and so forth.

PS: The larger the eyes on the baby fish, the better.

Ok, now I am starting to get some action but I need some help.

Current readings are 2ppm Ammonia, and .5 on the nitrates so things are moving along well.

I wanted to try out the nitrates but I noticed that the former Mrs. I Never Took His Last Name misplaced the nitrate test color card...except for the salt water card. Is there a color card posted online? Or can someone scan and post an image?

As far as the Hail Marys, I'll get on those. Thanks guys!

Are you missing the nitrItes card or the nitrAtes card? If you have 2 ppm of ammonia, I'm going to assume you have .5 nitrItes. It sounds like your ammonia is going down and your nitrItes are starting to go up so nitrates don't matter. Once you have 0 ammonia, then I would start testing nitrates with nitrites.

Nitrite
img_791392_0_7469de071ae44d9b3d2f720254d55f60.jpg

Nitrate
img_791392_1_3874555fd32220e9028722f8d6d01e1e.jpg

Awesome, I needed the NitrAte card. You are hereby officially invited to my birthday party. There will be a clown and pony rides.

I guess I am further along than I thought...my NitrAtes are at approx 7.5. And right after I tested wouldn't you know that I found the card stuck behind the crate I keep my supplies in.

Great, one less thing I can blame her for.

OK so now my Ammonia is at 0ppm and the nitrItes are at 4ppm or so. Once the NitrItes are at 0, do I leave the shrimp decaying and add fish on top of that or do I fish that stinky garbage out of there?

please please please tell me i can leave it. They are all fuzzy and white and I am sure they smell lovely.

Once the nitrites drop you are done. Remove the shrimp, do a massive water change and stock the tank.

I am sorry you can't keep the shrimp. :)

Alrighty! We are almost home now, NitrItes are at .25 after a significant drop overnight (it was all the way up at about 3ish yesterday morning, but those purples are hard for me to see; i have an easier time with the blues) and if they behave the same wya as the ammonia is should be 0 tomorrow. NitrAtes are at about 15ish so those look great as well.

My question is a 2 parter:
1. How much of a water change should I do? 50%?
2. Is there a way to get the shrimp out of the tank and out of my house without smelling them?

DanielFZappa said:
2. Is there a way to get the shrimp out of the tank and out of my house without smelling them?

Yep.....clothes pin. :lol:

Levels are great and I introduced 3 fish yesterday...2 chinese algae eaters and a Pictus catfish. I love leaving the lights on so I always have enough algae for the little buggers and there is almost nothing cooler than pictus freaking out at feeding time. In a few days I am getting some angelfish.

And my future ex wife loves my aquarium. Jealously, in fact. Next thing you know she'll want to move in.

Ok, so now the pictus is acting like my REAL ex-wife: emotionally unavailable. And physically. The little douche has holed up inside this really tall deco piece of wood and only came out when I lifted it to see if he was pinned under it. He floated around and ate for a little while then hid up there again. He has been there for 3 days?

is this normal behavior for pictus? I had some earlier and don't recall them doing this at all. Maybe he needs some therapy?

pictus need to be kept in groups or else they will become emotionally unavailable. They need company of their own kind. Also they take a little bit to warm up. They do become attached to the other.

I have three different sets in my tank. My 2 spotted pictus stay together, my sisters 2 spotted pictus I took in stay together and my 2 fourline pictus cats stay together.

Some hide some do not too. My fourlines barely come out with lights on, my spotted pictus are about the same, my sisters spotted pictus were always out but now in my tank with plenty of places to hide they do not come out as much

Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom