90 Gallon Planted Tank Project

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

azn_fishy55

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My mom wanted to get a 90 gallon tank that was one sale at my LFS so I need to get planning.This time I definitly have to go with pressurized CO2 so I need some help with that.I have some old metal(some sort of metal) container that was used to hold oxygen.I'll try to get a pick tomorrow,so to use this do I just need to add a regulator?Also I am confused on what filter to get,I thought to get a Filstar Filter;will this work for a 90 gallon?The other problem was lighting,should I go with metal halides or 2 compact fluorescent bulbs?I am confused with the ferts too,I heard using PMDD is easier to dose.So I have the ingredient list potassium nitrate(I believe I can buy it locally as 'stump' remover),potassium sulfate(I believe Seachem Potassium will work for this,also can I subsitute this with potassium gluconate?),magnesium sufate(epsom salt),and a trace mix(will SeaChems Flourish do the job?).TIA

If it was an old oxygen tank (I assume scuba) it's max pressure is 3000PSI, which may be fine (Co2 has a max pressure of 1200PSI in liquid form @ room temp, you'll need to spend about 35$ to get it hydro tested), but it may not be allowed to use Co2, you're better off buying a 5 or 10lb Co2 tank.

Also I hear a lot of people recommending the Milwakee regulator/solenoid/bubble counter combo. It's usually around 85$.

as for ferts, I'll let a more knowledgable person answer that.

What I'd do, is take that cylinder to a welding shop, or a fire extinguisher shop. They can tell you if it's safe for CO2 use.
Its possible the valve on top isn't the same as a CO2 cylinder's valve. Should only be a few bucks to have it changed out.

You may also have to have the tank hydrostatically tested to make sure it's still safe. This can take 48 hours, and will cost some cash (no idea how much though, figure at least $20 though).

Our fire dept. will also hydrostatic test for free, for extinguishers. Not for Co2 tanks or other types. If you conver the fitting for Co2, it will have to be re-tested. Thats the way it works here. :) Welding shops usually take a trade in though.

Back
Top Bottom