90 gallon reef setup, new to salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MaiTank

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have been in the hobby for over 20 years, but have never done sw. First I am getting the RO/DI filter from Melevsreef.com, anyone have any problems with it? I plan on getting a 90 gallon Deep Blue with corner overflow. I am working on my 30 gallon sump($20 craigslist), got the glass 1/4" baffles cut for $25. Waiting for skimmer to install. Is the Euro Reef RSA 135 large enough? I think it should be based on the Euro Reef efficiency. Kent sea salt or is cheaper mix fine? In the refugium, what is the best items to put in there? I was going to put live rockin it, but not sure what else. It is going to take time and I will not start it until I have the pieces and money saved to maintain. With that in mind, how much much dry rock to LR should I get in the tank? I am guessing 135-150 lbs. total, but not sure of the ratio, the same with sand, I usually have 3 -4 inches of substrate, but not sure and I was reading get the sand and a couple scoups of LS from the LFS to get it going. Lighting... I was thinking LEDs or a combination of LEDs vs ??? I want to have enough lighting, but obviously it is quite expensive. Thinking of using a SICCE 3 for the return pump, what size tubing? THe sump will be in the cabinet. I have read quite a bit, but the hobby and tech has changed quite a bit. Thank you in advance for the responses.

Welcome aboard.

I have the same type tank except its a bit taller and 110 gal. One thing is the return was plumbed to a hole drilled on the opposite backside as the drain. Both overflow holes are used for the drain. That makes the draining absolutely silent.
Skimmer should be as large as possible. I have a reef octopus 2000 in mine (for up to 2000litres I think). Funny thing is I only have 1 set of baffles. The skimmer and fuge section are the same and I have no issues with bubbles.
There are 2 basic types of salt ; marine salt for fish only systems and reef salt for corals. Many people, myself included , use instant ocean. Other brands work as well.
In my fuge I have about 30 lbs rocks and a cheato ball. Cheato for nitrates and rocks for pods. I want to get a mandarin one day.
Rock ratio is completely up to you. The more live rock you start with the faster your tank will cycle. And you will sit straighter because your wallet will not have an unsightly fatness caused by excess cash. Money will be gone. The less live rock you get the fewer hitchhikers you'll get, both good and bad. You have the sand issue well in hand.
Your return should provide about 500 gph after headloss. Add 1 foot per 90 degree elbow after the pump.
Consider adding an ATO to your system as you will loos about 1 gal per day due to evaporation.

Attachments

• image-3749868464.jpg
    image-3749868464.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 115
  • image-3339336007.jpg
    image-3339336007.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 128
  • image-3959718185.jpg
    image-3959718185.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 141
Forgot to mention lights. A 6 bulb T5HO would be suitable for all corals. For LEDs, be careful. Many manufacturers are selling wide band LEDs as coral LEDs. Look at the spectrum for a fluorescent actinic bulb and note the narrow band 420/460 nm peaks. A 14000k bulb is wide band so less energy is provided for the corals to consume. There are LEDs out there such as taotrinics, but don't get fooled by cheaper FOWLR lighting. Avoid Marineland LEDs for corals as they provide almost no PAR values.

Orphek Nilus 24 Inch LED Light Fixture

What about this, I know more expensive($800-900), but less to run and more life.

Otherwise, I see Aquatic Life has a T5-HO Light Fixture with 4 Lunars - ^x 54W - 48"($450 +tax), but the bulbs need to be replaced every 6 months? and at $20 x 6 ($120) .

I have been in the hobby for over 20 years, but have never done sw. First I am getting the RO/DI filter from Melevsreef.com, anyone have any problems with it? I plan on getting a 90 gallon Deep Blue with corner overflow. I am working on my 30 gallon sump($20 craigslist), got the glass 1/4" baffles cut for $25. Waiting for skimmer to install. Is the Euro Reef RSA 135 large enough? I think it should be based on the Euro Reef efficiency. Kent sea salt or is cheaper mix fine? In the refugium, what is the best items to put in there? I was going to put live rockin it, but not sure what else. It is going to take time and I will not start it until I have the pieces and money saved to maintain. With that in mind, how much much dry rock to LR should I get in the tank? I am guessing 135-150 lbs. total, but not sure of the ratio, the same with sand, I usually have 3 -4 inches of substrate, but not sure and I was reading get the sand and a couple scoups of LS from the LFS to get it going. Lighting... I was thinking LEDs or a combination of LEDs vs ??? I want to have enough lighting, but obviously it is quite expensive. Thinking of using a SICCE 3 for the return pump, what size tubing? THe sump will be in the cabinet. I have read quite a bit, but the hobby and tech has changed quite a bit. Thank you in advance for the responses.

Well welcome

Lr and ls is typically recommended at 1-2 lbs per gallon.

3-4" of sand is getting into deep sand bed territory (dsb fr short) and is a widely debated subject do a search.

Most people (myself included) are running sumps with lr and/or sand and/or algae (like cheato).

Have not used melevs system but haven't heard anything bad.

Salt is widely debated.

The tubing size will be determined by what you want your gph to be draining and will be determined by your return gph.

Great that you entered the saltwater hobby! Kent salt has been known to build up the calcium levels, but a great salt. I use Red Sea Pro coral salt and have had great results (although I don't have anything to compare to that I've used). I have a 3" sand bed and don't have problems, plus if you want a wrasse it's a good amount to have for when they feel threatened and seek refuge. Seems like most people answered the other questions.

I just started my tank and am using kent reef salt.

Most of my "knowledge" at this point has been via research.

I use reefcrystals for salt chaeto for fuge with small bits of lr for growing pods for coral especially sps 30-50 times turnover as far as flow in dt biggest skimmer possible flow thru sump should be rated lower than skimmer i like dsb but you need snails or sand dwellers to keep it stirred or it can build up nutrients for lighting i use 120w leds 1lb of liverock per gallon is sufficient but also depends on rock density but more is merrier :) you want good flow thru rock so not so much that its cluttered

It may be a 100 gallon good price on a tank with the overflow in the middle and the return is hidden as well.

Check E-bay for lights. There's quite a bit of folks on AA who got fair priced ones on there.

I use Instant Ocean Salt, though I don't have any corals but I know some people who do and still use it.

I think I will use reef crystals by instant ocean, available through my lfs. Thinking build my led, two 48" sets.

Well here it is. 100 gallon tank with a 30 gallon homemade sump. Got a eshopps DSK 150, SICCE 4.0 pump for the sump and I am filling it now. I got my RO/DI from BRS 6 stage on sale. 5 ppm after the 4 stages and 0 after the 6. It fills into a 34 gallon Brute with the float valve and I pump to another 34 gallon to mix. I maybe pumping it up from my basement to my tank, but for now I am just filling buckets. Went with the Reef Crystals because it is $60 at my LFS. Not enough water to start the sump, but it should be good by tonight. Put 100 lbs. of base rock in with some epoxy and 40 lbs. of sand. Probably needs more sand, but I can't tell it is a sand storm in there. All three of my LFS's cycle with fish, but I am going to give it a go without. After a month I will see where it is at. After about $2500-$3000, here is hoping. A bunch of wasted plumbing parts, but otherwise pretty much setup. The tank and hood were about $400, so it started there. I built my cabinet, but would do it differently if I were to build another. Two doors in the front and I have an unattached side to get the sump in and out if necessary. Pictures will come once I clean up my disasterous house. My wife was not happy with all the things I had out in the living room. Well I ended up with the Reefbreeders LED value lights. Cost less than a 6 T5 lamp so I am real happy with that. Got a cheap($40) 10W 6500K LED floodlight for the refugium. Pretty impressed with the output, but no on/off switch. Thanks to all the help on here. Let the fun begin.

Any advice over the first month?

Patience!!!!! lol take it slow and good job of going with a fishless cycle. It is a lot easier on you and the fish. I prefer using straight ammonia(can get it from ace hardware) for it but some like the shrimp method(warning it can smell).

I use a reefbreeders it2080 and love it. Good choice on the lights.

Back
Top Bottom