90g build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BGK21

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all,
I am going to start building my first aquarium in a couple of weeks. I am going to do a planted freshwater but am a complete newbie. I have read through the steps/cycles but am curious if I would need multiple equipment such as heaters, filters, etc as opposed to one for a tank this size. I am learning the lfs is not the most trustworthy, neither is the help from petsmart. For example, the lfs told me I could have 5 or 6 black ghost knifefish for a tank this size but I am skeptical b/c of the size they grow to. Any thoughts on the necessary equipment or backup equipment to start up would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

You can house one, but I'd suggest only one of that type. I'm not sure what its called, but the BGK has "senses" to move around and it can be interrupted with more in the tank because they're all doing it to move around. Someone clarify me.. just don't know the proper word. ^^;

They can grow up to 20", though.

dotswithchemicals said:
You can house one, but I'd suggest only one of that type. I'm not sure what its called, but the BGK has "senses" to move around and it can be interrupted with more in the tank because they're all doing it to move around. Someone clarify me.. just don't know the proper word. ^^;

They can grow up to 20", though.

Electrogenic, and Dots is correct, don't keep more than one BGK because of this. They also prefer a sandy substrate and need a large hiding place like a hollow log or something of the like.

Interesting, thanks. Anything special about a 90 gallon building vs 50 gallon?

A 90 is going to be a lot deeper, so you'll need beefier lighting, or lower light plants. Really though, better lighting is the best option, if you want tall, junglely plants. A power head would probably be a good investment in a tank that size. I'd dirt it too, but i'm a dirt guy.

Back
Top Bottom