90gal build advice and plant ID needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes. Even less likely if a tank doesn't have co2. The top of the palmy is lush and growing nicelyw here it really needs co2, so why would it loose older leaves? It wouldn't. You only see co2 deficiencies in tanks with co2.

When you say it causes algae, are you saying a lack of carbon or a lack of co2? You may think they are the same, but they are not. There's a difference.

Care to elaborate on these points?

I do still have an unknown plant left to determine. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1387327504.891495.jpg
It's the stem plant with the long slender leaves. Here another shot of it in my 20gal. I've had no difficulty taking cuttings off of itImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1387327596.516986.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1387327610.822944.jpg

That is definitely seems to fit the description. I believe all the plants that I have in the multiple tanks I have scattered throughout the house has been identified. I would like to confirm the plant which I believe is rotala rotundifolia ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1387328876.293601.jpg
Let know how the pic quality is coming out. I'm using med quality. Thanks

Certainly looks like it, but there are about a dozen very similar looking plants in the hobby now. That being said, R. rotundifolia is by far the most common. If it starts to turn yellow/orange than I would say that's for sure what it is.

Last edited:
Their actually pinkish at the top which fits along rotala rotundifolia description I've read. That the colour deepens with higher light and co2

So we opened are Christmas gifts this afternoon just my wife and kids. My wife surprised me. I was almost certain what I was going to get but she got me this instead. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1387758746.340735.jpg
Yup one more step closer to starting!

Sweet those will be helpful for sure! I may get some soon because my scissors aren't cutting it!

Lol! Pun intended? I'm very excited to get started. A few more components to get plus now I need to repair my intake hook up on my canister filter. Apparently it had a hairline crack that just snapped off when I was trying to disconnect it for cleaning. Grr! It did me get me looking into the possible of an inline reactor for the co2. Perhaps a DIY build for that?

Thanks for the link. I've seen a similar design but no sizing so this is very helpful. My canister for my 90gal is an Eheim which has smooth walled tubes. I was also thinking of making one for my 30gal which has a fluval. They have ribbed hoses. Any idea on how to cut and connect to those?

Thanks for the link. I've seen a similar design but no sizing so this is very helpful. My canister for my 90gal is an Eheim which has smooth walled tubes. I was also thinking of making one for my 30gal which has a fluval. They have ribbed hoses. Any idea on how to cut and connect to those?

Not really. I did a Google search on "fluval ribbed hose rubber adaptors" and found several choices of adaptors for fitting onto the ribbed hoses. Might be a good idea to obtain an extra ribbed hose to test this out on (not the ones currently in use). In my search I did find a discussion where Eheim tubing was used because it looked nicer.

Not really. I did a Google search on "fluval ribbed hose rubber adaptors" and found several choices of adaptors for fitting onto the ribbed hoses. Might be a good idea to obtain an extra ribbed hose to test this out on (not the ones currently in use). In my search I did find a discussion where Eheim tubing was used because it looked nicer.

Found a similar discussion where the op removed the hose and replaced it with 5/8 hose from Home Depot. I have a non working 304 that I will try that on tomorrow. I would need to figure out how to connect it to my intake tube and output nozzle.

While I'm obtaining all the pieces that I need to start I have some of my more demanding plants in a 20gal holding tank. ☺️Actually I foolishly ordered them before I thought about it. So I quickly planted them in this tank, dropped my 3' dual T5HO on it and ran the co2 into the intake of HOB. I've seen pearling before on videos but needless to say I'm very excited to see it happening before my eyes!?

My 90gal has changed a 125gal. Picked it up yesterday for a great price. There's some minor scratches on it but its in better shape than my 90. Problem is my light is for a 4' long tank whereas this new one is 6'. I have three 3' foot T5HO fixtures. Just need to get a fourth. Also my fluorite was enough to do the 90. I am considering doing a dirt substrate. Thoughts anyone?

Just finished installing my diy co2 inline reactor. No co2 running yet. Just making sure it doesn't leak. Will fill up the co2 tank tomorrow and get it going. Will have to start with at 1 bubble per second as I don't have a drop checker yet

I should mention that since I had all this fluorite and the t5ho and plants that due better in high light I decided to set up a 50gal breeder to learn a few things. This is sort of a holding tank until I get the big tank startedImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389323846.882499.jpg

Realized I forgot to add the pic of the reactor. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389323882.368136.jpg

Got the tank filled and connected. Set for 1 bubble per second right now. Quickly put together a diy drop checker. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389393074.322405.jpg
I'll post it under the DIY section as well. Hoping I made the solution correctly. It's starting to turn green. Still a little on the blue side but I want to be sure its safe for the fish as well

Nice diy project karay and love your idea of having another tank, is it to test growth of different plants?! I would do the same, possibly even afew tanks with different elements to each. Youll become very adept at knowing which plants will thrive in different water, different conditions and particular circumstances! Good job

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom