92 gal amazon bio almost complete! what should i add?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeymourFRESH

Aquarium Advice Freak
alright! now that i am going to recieve 2 bristlenose plecos this week, i come to realize that my tank is finally almost stocked! my only problem is, i have no idea what else to add!

here is what is in it now:
4 german blue rams (3 female, one male)
10 cardinal tetras
5 peppered corydoras
2 otocinclus

in QT, to be added, i have:
7 rummy nose tetras

also soon recieving:
2 bristlenose plecos (only one is going in 92 gallon. other is going in 55)

i also have a good assortment of plants.

i have calculated that, if any of my fish get full size, the total added up inches of fish is about 65 or 66. all i really want to add is maybe a fish that grows about 4-5 inches or so, because my mom really wants us to get something of a little bit of more size (we have a lot of really tiny fish, maybe once something that'll stand out a little bit more, also one that's more top-mid range than bottom). i'm completely stumped, i've been trying to figure this out for a while too lol.
:-/

what fish would you guys get in this situation?

You could go for another dwarf cichlid specie...there are enough of them who have really nice coloration.
But larger fish...idk, angels and discus would probably snack on the tetras once fullgrown.
Keyhole cichlids grow to 3-4 inches (see avater)...:) Or Red-breasted cichlids... http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=71369

If you don't find anything you like, you can always add to your existing schools of tetras, IMO they are even more stunning in large numbers.

You are nowhere near overstocked. Not at all, not even close. 10 inches of cardinal tetras is a drop in the bucket. You should think more about bioload than inches of fish, especially since most of your fish are types that stay very small.

As far as bioload goes, 30 tetras would be smaller than a bristlenose pleco.

One thing you should consider is making your tetra schools much larger. One day when my 75 gallon no longer has big fish, I am going to have a couple huge schools of tetras and hatchetfish.

I'm not advocating overstocking at all, but you do have a lot of tank to work with.

I don't know how compatible it would be with the german blue rams but have you thought about a Gourami? They are very colorful with interesting personalities and get anywhere between 4-6 inches. It would make a good center-piece fish for your tank.

Maybe you should just add to your cardinals. Make it a huge school then they will be more active and it would make for a beautiful tank!

As far as bioload goes, 30 tetras would be smaller than a bristlenose pleco.

Bristlenose's top out at about 3-5" and not very big waste producer's.

I have the following in my 75 gal amazon jungle:

2 Angels
5 Bolivian Rams
4 German Blue Rams
5 Serpae Tetras
4 Lamp eye tetras
7 Bristlenose pleco's
1 Sailfin pleco
4 corydoras julii
Unknown # of ramshorn snails
Unknown # of MTS snails

Well. I think the idea is a SA biotope. Gouramis are old world and rainbows are from down under. You aren't stretching the envelope as far as bioload. Discus would be awesome but they are expensive and require lots of care. A pair of angels would be nic IMO. If you stay with veil teils the tetras should be safe. JMO

Although I've heard people tell of Angels eating cardinals, I've never witnessed it myself and have kept them together without probs. Generally the cardinals will out run the angels, and the angels don't seem to bother with them.

Ive heard that Angels will almost always eat neons, but alot of people have found that their cardinals are safe.

well, i've considered angels, but my dad doesn't like em and they'd probably eat my rummy nose even if they didn't eat the cardinals. i've considered gouramis, but they're not south american. i AM going to add more to my schools of tetras, no doubt about that, but cardinals are kind of hard for me to come accross right now, (i've heard they're seasonal), and i just started the school of rummy nose and about half of them died, so now i'm down to only 7 of them (DAMN they are sensitive!).

i think my mom just wants something that gets slightly bigger and will stand out amongst all of the small fish. but, my whole problem is, any bigger fish will more than likely (or so it seems) eat my tetras! i considered a black ghost knife, but that'll probably snack on my tetras at night time (plus their full size is about 1')....i've also considered a headstander but i heard those are real bad for nipping fins...so i dunno...lol
like i said, i'm stumped. i'm definetely going to add more to my schools, but i do want 1 or 2 more bigger fish just to have something stand out amongst the little guys. i'm almost considering to just try to find something that's not south american, but REALLY want to try to keep fish generally from the same habitat (i just think that's cool lol)

The fish I listed are from the same habitat and I posted that list to help guide you. Angels won't consume another fish for the most part and for the SA theme, they are probably the largest "peaceful" cichlid that is compatible.

yes, jchillin. i saw that. i bet your tank is awesome!

well, i MIGHT consider angels....we've just had them in the past and they've always been real mean.

Hmmm...can you see my sig? If yes, take a look. :D My angels aren't exactly the most "friendliest" fish in the tank, but they have their territories (wherever they choose) and everyone else "respects" that.

i've also been thinking about silver dollars. any of you guys had those before? are they good for plants?

great link, japola!

Silver dollars are notorious plant eaters. Most large cichlids will be difficult to keep with plants as they have a tendency to dig (even if they don't eat the plants). It's for this reason that most SA biotopes incorporate either discus or angels as the focal fish. The combination of shape, color, and size add a dynamic appearance to the tank. JMO

yes, that's what i've heard about silver dollars too. :-/

what about headstanders? i've heard they're little fin nippers but have any of you had them?

my dad says "no, absolutely not" to the angel fish...i would seriously try it out otherwise! :( we're kind of sharing the tank lol

Back
Top Bottom