96 watts for low light plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kshea

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 36 x 12 1/2 that's 16 1/2 in depth. I just ordered a 96 watt light. Is that too much light for low light plants or can anything grow in it. Thanks in advance for any help.

Not sure what u mean here, u cant have "too much" light for low light plants. The more the better, just means they can grow with 0.5-1.5 wpg of light.

As long as u have more than 0.5wpg u should be good for low light plants ( crypts anubius etc )

algae can be a problem with the low light plants. like for instance the slow growing leaves on anubias.

you have about 3 wpg. its kinda high... you should seriously consider co2! and also ferts. with higher lights you increase the plant growth which increases the need for nutrients. without the nutrients your plants will die and an algae breakout is probable

I have about 30% plant coverage on bottom (just planted) should I get CO2 now or wait until I notice some growth going on. Oh, about the light, I wasn't sure if it was the same as gardening, some shade some sun or full sun or shade effecting growth..

CO2 is really useful so I'd say the sooner the better. Plus if you're going the DIY route then there is a bit of a learning curve. Its not hard, but there is some trial and error.

I've never run into any low light plants that will suffer from extra light. Algae trouble will be your biggest enemy, but there are plenty of pro's on this board that will help you keep it under control.

I second getting CO2 and ferts now rather than later. It's much easier to prevent algae than get rid of it....trust me.

On a tank that size DIY CO2 would work fine. I had very good luck with the Red Sea Turbo CO2 system, I just added a second liter bottle with a t connector. change the yeast mix in one bottle every 2 weeks and you should be all set.

As for ferts, dry ferts are the easiest and cheapest option. You might be able to pick some up really inexpensively on this forum as there are plenty of people with planted tanks.

I have the seachem flourish and flourish excel liquid. Can I get the name of something better? I used that stuff in my other tank (about a 30 gal too) and plants started getting brown spots. Too much fertilizer??

Thanks for getting me on the right track....do I need to worry about the fish with the CO2 or will the plants suffice for O2. Should I stop my filter and just run CO2???? Thanks for all the help....desperately needed!

the best investment with your co2 investment is a drop checker. the drop checker changes color between blue (not enough co2), green (perfect co2), yellow (too much co2). as long as its not yellow, your fish will be fine. co2 doesnt replace o2 in the water. so as long as you have an o2 supply (plants during the day, turn your co2 off at night with a timer) you'll be fine.

what kind of filter do you have? is it a hob, or canister? the more surface turbulation that you have the more your water will lose its co2. but i wouldnt turn it off

it's a penguin 200 w/biowheel so I do have some water turbulence. I love the picture of your full tank. How long did it take??

unfortunately your filter isn't ideal for co2. it will off gas. but you can still put co2 in your tank it'll just make maintaing a certtain level hard and you'll be wasting co2. a canister or something would be ideal.

thanks. it's taken me about a year to get the tank setup almost to where i want it. constantly trimming, and buying new plants to see how they grow in my tank, throwing out or selling the ones i dont like, and then buying more. if i cut all of those plants in half. it'll prob be completely full in less than a month.

Back
Top Bottom