A Bunch of Planted Tank Questions :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

m0stUniQue

Aquarium Advice Activist
So as you may or may not know soon I'm receiving a t5 ho light 2x24w 6500k, and I have a few questions. 1- As of now my substrate is pool filter sand and there is little to no chance of that changing, so with the above lighting, and substrate what kind of plants can I grow? I do not and most likely will not be using c02 now and if I do it will be way in the future, do I need to dose fertilizers? What kind of fertilizers should I use/what you recommend? and How often should I be dosing the ferts? How many hours a day should I be running my lights? I know its a lot of questions but whatever advice you have for a newbie to planted tanks would be great :)

I have sand substrate and t5 lighting on my 29g. I am using Flourish root tabs and the Flourish liquids started kit. So far so good. I am getting lush plants growth. I don't use CO2 either. I leave the lights on 10 to 12 hours per day. I also took the carbon out of my filter as recommended on this forum. It supposedly absorbs the fertilizer nutrients.

I have sand substrate and t5 lighting on my 29g. I am using Flourish root tabs and the Flourish liquids started kit. So far so good. I am getting lush plants growth. I don't use CO2 either. I leave the lights on 10 to 12 hours per day. I also took the carbon out of my filter as recommended on this forum. It supposedly absorbs the fertilizer nutrients.

What kind of plants do you have?

Anubias. Java fern. Java moss. Crypts. Hornwort. Anacharis. Jungle Val. These are all low light plants.

For fertilizer, I use Seachem products, as well as Oscomote Plus fertilizer.

I'm including a pic of my tank. I have assorted crypts, giant hairgrass, dwarf hairgrass, water primrose,aponogeton and a few varieties of swords. The sword I know for sure is the argentine sword. I want to add anubias and a few other things. I have to t5's on my tank so I think I have moderate light.

Attachments

• 29gjuly292012.jpg
    29gjuly292012.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 79
Wow thanks for all your help :) what fish do you have in there? Do you know if there will be any adverse effects if I had my T5 lights before my plants?

I have a halfmoon Betta and 4 large mystery snails. So i'm sparsely stocked. I don't think it matters about the light being on the before the plants. I put the root tabs in right when I plants the plants.

I have a thread about a 10g walstad build, showing the tank I just put together.Because that one has soil there is supposed to be no need for ferts. I will be waiting impatiently to see how that works. lol

Back
Top Bottom