A complete change? Your thoughts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SkinnyPete

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've struggled with this, back and forth. I need some advice and opinions.

I have 110 gallon tall tank (29" high x 48" wide), not the greatest dimensions I've lived and learned. Anyway, I've got tons of rock and lots of water movement was planning on a reef eventually when I upgrade my lights (4x65w PC right now). Been running for a year and a half, lightly stocked until recently. I've got a medium sized yellow tang, two perc clowns, a green mandarin, and a zebra moray eel. I have a 50 gallon sump with about a 15 gallon fuge built in, running an ASM G3 skimmer and about 170ish pounds of live rock (maybe a bit more). I don't have any coral except one rock with mushrooms. I don't have any inverts except some snails, several hitchiker pencil stars, one peppermint shrimp who lives with my eel, and a pesky hitchhiker pistol shrimp that I wouldn't mind losing...he's a digger.

Okay, so the dilemma is a porcupine puffer fish. My wife really wants one (don't they all?), but I'm not thrilled with the constraints it will put on me as far as inverts go. I was also a little worried about bioload with a porc AND a moray. But, so far my eel hasn't had an impact on water quality with the skimmer and water changes. EVerything has been fine.

Now, I know all fish are different and people have had dumb luck with keeping porcs with different things, but my questions are more general rule... if I surprise my wife with a porc puffer for her birthday next week, aside from sacrificing my reef plan, what would I have to sacrifice as far as livestock? I'm assuming the shrimp, clowns, and mandarin would have to go, a shame since I built the fuge just for my little mandarin. The tang may be okay? My inverts gone including snails? Also, I've got 20-30x water movement in there. Too strong for a porc? Thought I read they don't do well with lots of water movement since they aren't great swimmers.

Lastly, if I'm willing to sacrifice everything and go with a predatory tank with eel and porc, with my set-up, what other livestock can I afford (bioload-wise) to stock in addition? I'm not maxed out with probably about 140 gallons of total water volume am I? Maybe add a trigger or something? Not interested in lions. And I do realize that there is a chance the porc would outgrow the 110. We may be upgrading to a longer tank in the next year...I'm not a fan of the 110.

Sorry, I'm kind of all over the place...I'm just trying to make a decision. I may do a nanoreef with a 29 I have, so I may finally be okay sacrificing the 110 as a reef.

Any opinions would be highly appreciated. Thanks. Sorry this email was so ADD.

- Skins

Easy - Keep the tank you've got and buy her her own tank for her B-day ! : )

JG said:
Easy - Keep the tank you've got and buy her her own tank for her B-day ! : )

Oooof. I've got 2 already. I might be the only guy on this forum who's wife asked "Can we get a 3rd tank?" to which I replied "No!" My 2 take enough time and money as it is. Thanks though.

- Skins

SkinnyPete said:
who's wife asked "Can we get a 3rd tank?" to which I replied "No!"

OK, that's just wrong. Wrong.

Allll wrong.

I kept a porc for a few years a long time ago... back in the dark ages of this hobby.

The porc will be fine with *most* fish. anyting that it *might* think was a snack, like a royal gramma, would be bad. A mandrin might be ok, I do belive they are mildly toxic. Check on that.

I do know, for a fact, that you will NOT be able to keep any crab, shrimp, or snail alive. These will ALL become food. I used to buy mine a camel shrimp every few months as a 'treat' if he was a good boy.

Any fish that is small, and 'peaceful' in temper could become a snack. Anything else you keep should at a minimum not be able to fit in it's mouth and be semi-agressive. Check out liveaquaria.com, they have a pretty good compatibility chart you can use online.

Aside from clams, I don't think there is much these things will eat coral-wise. I could be wrong, but I think they don't bother LPS, SPS, or soft corals. you might want to check on that too. My books say 'not reef safe' but only mention shrimp and crabs as the reason.

VERY FEW FISH have the personality these guys have. They really are a riot to keep, lots of fun. Trust me, if you get one, he will take over the tank and your heart with his personality.

Good luck

Back
Top Bottom