a couple months ago i posted a few pictures . . .

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goodogcarl

Aquarium Advice Regular
of my aquarium looking for advice . . . someone suggested a piece of driftwood and someone else suggested more small plants in front . . . i did both those things and they were right . . . my tank looks so much better!

i'm posting a few more now looking for any other tips you may have.

i guess i found the trick to photographing a tank: a tripod!

p.s. in the first two photos just to the left of center in the foreground: can you tell me what this little plant is? also in the third photo, the plant that's in front and just about dead center (it has arrow-shaped leaves) can you identify that for me?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 51
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    262.9 KB · Views: 56
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    258.2 KB · Views: 51
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    258.2 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
The top photo's is a Crypt Wendtii Green and the bottom photo looks like an anubia. Your plants look nice and healthy... good job!

Wow looks like you struck the right balance. All your plants look healthy and i don't see any signs of algae. What size tank, lighting, and fert dosing are in play here? Looks great!

Thanks. I have a 75-gal tank, the light is just one i bought from petco called "flora sun" i think. a couple of months ago i put seachem plant tabs in the substrate and for a while i was dosing daily with seachem excel i think it's called . . . although it might be flourish . . . it's something someone on here recommended . but i saw a little bit of "melting" of a couple of the plants so i only dose the tank sporadically now.

the plant that rivercats identified as anubia was until recently covered in black algae (not the furry kind but the really solid looking stuff) i got six chinese algae eaters and they really went to town. that plant is nearly clean now.

Very pretty tank. Love the plants and the rainbows. Just watch out fir those Chinese algae eaters. They can get mean as they mature.

if you're familiar with rainbow bosemanii (sp?) . . . some mornings when i come downstairs the largest of the rainbows are very nearly navy blue on their front half . . . other times not. as they mature will this color remain constant? do you know how big these fish get?

goodogcarl said:
if you're familiar with rainbow bosemanii (sp?) . . . some mornings when i come downstairs the largest of the rainbows are very nearly navy blue on their front half . . . other times not. as they mature will this color remain constant? do you know how big these fish get?

Boesemani are the fish of the rising sun. Mine do that too. especially when they are gonna mate. I think the biggest is 6inches. But from what if seen on YouTube from dustinsfishtanks channel they do.

thanks for the info . . . in case they ARE mating . . . do they lay eggs or are they live bearers?

goodogcarl said:
thanks for the info . . . in case they ARE mating . . . do they lay eggs or are they live bearers?

They scatter scatter eggs. Mine have mates many time but I have yet to seen babies. I have tried to isolate them in breeding tanks. But no luck yet! They eggs are hard to see and the fish try to eat them as soon as they come out.

I have kept them but they never reproduced. Their colors do get better over time. I used to add an Amazon blackening solution to the water to bring out their colors. Indian almond leaves or peat do about the same thing. Not everybody likes light brown tinted water though.

Back
Top Bottom