A couple quick questions about snowflake eels.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

launch

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've always wanted an eel and I've been doing quite a bit of research on them and it seems a snowflake is the best way to go for my situation. (i plan on keeping the tank somewhat peaceful) the question i have is if i get a small one and keep him well fed do you think he'd leave clownfish and other fish their size alone (firefish, basslets, etc)? or am i going to have to stick with bigger fish. also, i'm sure he'll eat shrimp and emerald crabs, but will he eat my entire cleanup crew (the usual hermit crabs & snails)?

btw. the tank is 125g with 150lbs live sand and 80-100lbs live rock. right now i only have a clownfish and two damsels (one big yellow and one small blue). they came with the tank.

thanks.

I have never kept an eel, but there are folks on this site that do. As long as you keep it fed and don't add smaller fish (anything he can swallow) you should be ok. I'll let the eel keepers add their experience. You will need to cover the top of the tank, as they are known jumpers.

looks like i'm going to have to pass on the eel. i don't want him eating all my hermit crabs. lol

Shrimp and crabs will be toast. Nassirus snails did OK in mine. Here is a pic of mine when I had it to lure you back to the snowflake eel. LOL

100_1859.jpg

Shrimp and crabs will be toast. Nassirus snails did OK in mine. Here is a pic of mine when I had it to lure you back to the snowflake eel. LOL

why'd you have to post that picture. argh. they're just so cool.....

What do you do for a cleanup crew with an eel in the tank?

IME my Snow Flake won't eat snails or 2" fish. I have a True Percula Clown and a Spotted Cardinal in a 180 Gal. When I first introduced him (or her) into the tank I had 5 1" Three Stripe Damsels that he was welcome to. After several months and a tank tear down I still have 1 left, 4 went to LFS.

The snow flake has poor eye sight so you will have to feed by tongs especially if you have other aggressive fish. I feed mine Mussels, Clams and Silver Sides. I don't think he eats snails as I still have a few, but I also have Triggers. I suspect crabs would be goners and hermits I'd give half a chance due to their shells.

I have had my eel for quite some time, he has never eaten any of my cleaners. He is actually a great fish. He gets defensive at feeding time, warding off the 6 line wrasse, spotted cardinal, and a foxface one spot. I feed once a day and it is really the only time he comes out from the rocks.

With the fishlist you mentioned (firefish, basslets, clownfish, i.e. Percs/Ocel's) there is a 50/50 chance they will not be harmed. Although crustaceans are their primary food source, small bony fish are still at peril and especially once hunger is stricken as flesh enters the water. Just because they cannot see well doesn't mean they won't bite what passes. Keep a meshed lid or canopy without viable exits and it should be fine in your tank otherwise :)

Back
Top Bottom