A cursed tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

senemedar

Aquarium Advice Freak
I know it sounds like a cheap Class-B horror movie, but...
I'm beginning to think, that there is something wrong with my aquarium. First my filter playing up, so changing it kills the water and - eventually - my guppies. Now water is all-clear, but the fishes are still dying. Another Guppie few days back, and today I've noticed that one of my Glass Catfish is missing.
The thing is - I was given this aquarium by people who couldn't run it any longer, but my wife's thinking is they really didn't wanted to let it go, so the aquarium has become cursed...

...and I'm beginning to agree with her!

Do any of you believe something like that is even possible?

of course, extremely possible. one question: do u know what cycling is?
its not a mockery thing, its just the thing you werent aware of that was essential to prevent the death of ur fish.
changing the filter took out the essential bacteria that fish NEED to survive, so the water is basically poisonous from this new uncycled filter. it will improve, but u will need a test kit and some research.
dont worry - we all have to learn :)
i never knew about cycling until i had my tank for 3 years, but i never changed the filter - only changed 1 of the 2 carbon filter pads every few months.
its not cursed, just you were misinformed xxxx

There's a reason for everything IMO...and spirits aren't usually one of the things I hold accountable, lol.

Do you know your full water parameters?

:) Thanks for response!
Yes, I know my water parameters, as I test them every other day for last two weeks. Everything is on 0, apart from pH which is a bit raised, but still in acceptable range.
Yet my fishes seems to be a bit nervous....

Nitrates are 0 too? In a truly cycled tank ammonia and nitrite should be 0 and you should have some nitrate. What test kit are you using? What is your water change schedule (how much and how often)? Changing out the filter media could have thrown it into a mini-cycle and unless you're using a liquid test kit I'd wonder if the ammonia is truly 0.

Ammonia and Nitrite are showing 0, and Nitrate is somewhere between 0 and 2.5-- I'm saying it like that, because the next colour on a Nitrate graph is 2.5 but the colour developed is not that deep. Also, I took the water to two different pet shops, and both were happy with the results. I have a liquid tests, but not as sophisticated as API - it's still out of my price list just yet; but I'll have one next month. I know now, that it's really good idea to invest in PROPER stuff.

As for water changing-- from last Few weeks it's done once a week, about 10-15% of the water.

(So I take it no-one believes in curses?)

Is it planted?

Biology is a science, not a religion. There are no curses, only misunderstandings and bad luck. Plenty of bad luck to go around.

Yes, it is planted. And - anticipating your next question - yes, I had added some new plants just before all of this happened.
And I need to add, I already threw one of them because it didn't want to grow and just made a huge mess in my tank by falling apart to pieces...

i had tha but started adding a plant nutrition liquid and it grew better. then my mbuna attacked it for fun ha.
and biology and religion may agree on minor terms, for what is it that stabilised the conditions for things to be created and the perfect dna mutations for a whole new better species to thrive? im just grasping at straws cos im hoping theres something out there after this life...

Hi i believe you:ermm: I set up a tank a month before Christmas a few years ago an to say it was nothing but trouble was an understatement :nono: But as already been said as long as the tank has been cycled properly and not stocked to fast then usually the problems lie elsewhere? New plants,over cleaning the tank or filter{s}over feeding etc etc You haven't said how old the tank is or if you cycled it? Also what fish,plants filters etc etc The more info we get the more likely we can help:)

senemedar said:
Ammonia and Nitrite are showing 0, and Nitrate is somewhere between 0 and 2.5-- I'm saying it like that, because the next colour on a Nitrate graph is 2.5 but the colour developed is not that deep. Also, I took the water to two different pet shops, and both were happy with the results. I have a liquid tests, but not as sophisticated as API - it's still out of my price list just yet; but I'll have one next month. I know now, that it's really good idea to invest in PROPER stuff.

As for water changing-- from last Few weeks it's done once a week, about 10-15% of the water.

(So I take it no-one believes in curses?)

API test kits are around 20 bucks online which is way better than most stores look them up most are free shipping 2.

Hi i believe you:ermm: I set up a tank a month before Christmas a few years ago an to say it was nothing but trouble was an understatement :nono: But as already been said as long as the tank has been cycled properly and not stocked to fast then usually the problems lie elsewhere? New plants,over cleaning the tank or filter{s}over feeding etc etc You haven't said how old the tank is or if you cycled it? Also what fish,plants filters etc etc The more info we get the more likely we can help:)

At last someone believes me! :D
As for the tank-- it's on for about 11 months now, but I moved the fishes to a new, 100l one about two months ago. The filter now is Fluval 3plus. I try to put some pictures of the plants tomorrow. I must admit, I like having a live plants in my tank, I just don't know yet what I have :) As for now, I just ask the seller for "low light plants"...

Sharkbait54 said:
API test kits are around 20 bucks online which is way better than most stores look them up most are free shipping 2.

As for API-- I know it's not so much of an expense, and I've already found some on eBay for about £16. It's just the moment of the month when you just paid £270 for fixing your car and next payday is two-weeks-away...
Same goes for plant nutrition staff-- I just ran-out of it and... waiting :(

I'm putting my plants. It will actually be nice to know all the names :whistle:
Also-- as you can see on some of the pictures, algae is growing rather happy :nono:
I have something called 'Anti Hair Algae' but was reluctant to use it, as I don't know of it's impact on plants, but I don't think it can be any worse than it is now...
akwarium-1.jpg

akwarium-2.jpg

akwarium-3.jpg

akwarium-4.jpg

akwarium-6.jpg

...and my favourite fish! (sorry, couldn't resist!)
akwarium-9.jpg

Last night another of my Guppies died. That leaves me with one grown-up and one baby Guppie...:(

Hi sorry to hear you lost a guppy:nono:
As for the plants i know some of them:cool:
Picture one looks to be - Amazon swords
Picture two - Vallis {loads of different sorts - think yours is the straight one?}
Picture three - Hornwort?
Picture four - ??????
Picture five - Eleoda densa
Picture six is a SHRIMP not a fish:whistle::ROFLMAO:

I'd like to enter a vote for cursed...... please let me know what the grand prize is if my vote is the winning vote..... :cool:

Pic 4 looks like a very unhappy Wisteria to me. And I agree with the other plants, The Val looks just like my spiral Val.

Pic 4 looks like a very unhappy Wisteria to me. And I agree with the other plants, The Val looks just like my spiral Val.

They were growing like mad in my old tank, especially Val. Now all the green tips on the leaves are getting brown :(

Still, that doesn't get me any closer to the source of the problem :huh:
BTW-- I checked the water today, and results vere as they should be.

Cursed, I tell you... Cursed :(

Back
Top Bottom