A definite beginner question!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mylittlemollies

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 34 litre aqua one tropical set up. I am doing weekly 25% water changes and everyone in the tank seems happy enough. My question is how do I clean the gravel? Sorry in advance for my silly question

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

As long as it is gravel (and not sand/dirt), your local fish store (lfs) should have a gravel cleaner, which is basically a tube, with a much wider tube at the end. This picks up all the poop, but the suction is not strong enough for the gravel, which stays where it is.

Tank Maintenance

I have a 34 litre aqua one tropical set up. I am doing weekly 25% water changes and everyone in the tank seems happy enough. My question is how do I clean the gravel? Sorry in advance for my silly question

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hello My...

Not a silly question. A small tank like your 8 gallon should have half (50 percent) the water changed a couple of times a week. You don't need to vacuum the bottom material. The plant and animal material that falls to the bottom will dissolve in the tank water. Just remove the water and replace it with pure, treated tap water.

B

i dont have a gravel cleaner aka syphon, what i do in between taking the majority out and rinsing it in hot water is i have a long handle spoon and i gently stir up the gravel, just enough to make whats lurking underneath come up and i dump that water in my bucket. i guess its good to keep some of that 'stuff' as its good bacteria for the fish.. i have only been at this a few months myself but about every 4-6 weeks i take so much out the other times i stir it up. also note you should have aquarium only buckets,cups, cloths, whatever you use to clean it. no bleach or soap chemicals are allowed on those items, so ive been advised.. please those who are experienced jump in and correct me if i am wrong.. oh be careful when doing this you must be gentle so you dont stress the fish, if you have small algae eaters or ghost shrimp too. i have stirred up a couple ghost shrimp i forgot as i was focused on my cleaning..

i dont have a gravel cleaner aka syphon, what i do in between taking the majority out and rinsing it in hot water is i have a long handle spoon and i gently stir up the gravel, just enough to make whats lurking underneath come up and i dump that water in my bucket. i guess its good to keep some of that 'stuff' as its good bacteria for the fish.. i have only been at this a few months myself but about every 4-6 weeks i take so much out the other times i stir it up. also note you should have aquarium only buckets,cups, cloths, whatever you use to clean it. no bleach or soap chemicals are allowed on those items, so ive been advised.. please those who are experienced jump in and correct me if i am wrong.. oh be careful when doing this you must be gentle so you dont stress the fish, if you have small algae eaters or ghost shrimp too. i have stirred up a couple ghost shrimp i forgot as i was focused on my cleaning..

That gravel holds quite a bit of beneficial bacteria in your tank. I would quit removing it and cleaning it although stirring it up a bit and getting the gunk out can be helpful. In general food safe buckets are safe to use even if chemicals have been used in them (all of mine have been washed with some very powerful cleansers) other buckets that aren't made for food shouldn't be washed with chemicals although bleach is still okay. Bleach is 100% safe to use as long as you let it dry out and rinse it out before using it. It's is a great way to disinfect aquarium decor.

thank you

That gravel holds quite a bit of beneficial bacteria in your tank. I would quit removing it and cleaning it although stirring it up a bit and getting the gunk out can be helpful. In general food safe buckets are safe to use even if chemicals have been used in them (all of mine have been washed with some very powerful cleansers) other buckets that aren't made for food shouldn't be washed with chemicals although bleach is still okay. Bleach is 100% safe to use as long as you let it dry out and rinse it out before using it. It's is a great way to disinfect aquarium decor.

Thank you!!! good information to know. someone here told me no cleaning and i was grossed out.. So you know i will be cleaning after each use now, as bleach is one of my best friends.. I hope the OP sees this and disregards my comment about not cleaning aquarium items. I am somewhat surprised bleach is ok, but then again its only chlorine which is in tap water.. YAHOO i can clean..

Back
Top Bottom