a failure to thrive

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scott S

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
some time ago I bought three Firemouths and two Salvini. one of each have failed to grow or even seem happy in the tank, they eat, but their colors are weak and they never grow. the Firemouth eventually either died or was murdered, and now I worry the same fate awaits the Salvini. does anyone have any explanation as to why certain fish simply fail to thrive?
there was no evidence of bullying with the Firemouth, and none now with the Salvini, but the proof is there in the photos, the female is three times the size of the male and full of color, and they were the same size when I bought them.

the male:

img_3374969_0_876cf43d935084b10b9e7ba9d33e8af5.jpg

the female:

img_3374969_1_96eda21074fee427215dedd25a307ad0.jpg

I've found this not to be uncommon. So many factors that can attribute stunted growth in a fish, from lack of water changes to improper feeding, tank size, temperature, tank mate compatibility and many more that can cause stress.
Since the other fish in the same tank are thriving, another possibility can be the fish history and what it went through before it got to your tank.

Back
Top Bottom