A few Beta questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ccross

Aquarium Advice FINatic
The Petco near my house has a horrible selection of tropical fish BUT, what they do have is a TON of beta fish. I'm cycling a 10g tank right now and was thinking of adding a female beta and a few tropicals. My first question... I use tetra heaters that keep the water at 78*. Will this be too hot for the beta? 2nd question... what tropical fish (preferably cheap and easy to find) would live peacefully with the beta? Platy's, guppies?

Thanks!

Not guppies the Betta will attack them but a nice school of 6-7 neon tetras would be nice. :)
And 78*F might be a bit hot for the Betta and tetras can you turn it down to 74*F that would be better.

Temp should be fine. If you want to try community fish, small peaceful shoalers like neon tetras, harlequin rasboras, etc. should work fine. Platies might be ok, but no guppies IMO for the reason that Giant Danio already mentioned.

So is 78* good or bad? lol
All my heaters are one setting only, i prefer it that way :)

Bettas love warm water. I keep them at 80 or higher. Livebearers like platties often work, but I think it would be better if you went with a small schooler. Petco typically has a poor selection of fish that work in a tank this size. I would go with neon tetras or pork chop rasbora.

ccross said:
Thanks, thats what I was hoping to hear.

I think I might just have to go get me a crowntail beta as soon as my tank is done :)

Yea plus people heat their tanks to 88 when treating ich and their bettas dont die :)

I agree that 78°F is a fine temperature for Bettas. I would recommend a school of Tetras or Rasboras to go with your Betta. Note that some Betta's will NOT put up with any tankmates, so proceed with care.

Back
Top Bottom