A few issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stan450z

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I started to see some brown crap grow near the front of the tank on the glass. Not sure what it is or how to take care of it.

Also 3 weeks ago I added my yellow tang and 2 larger snails, and saw the purple coralline algae that had grown so well in the first few weeks go away (only in some parts) and turn white like chalk. Also within 2 days, these 2 shrimp shells turned white. Other shrimp and my crabs shells were fine, and the fish were unaffected.

The algae grows well on other parts of the rock and if u see my power head on the picture, after 2 weeks the growth exploded on this thing, but im going to clean it.

My water perameters did not change and remain at the healthy levels. ph 8.1 and 80 degrees. I do about 10% water changes every week with RO water, and starting to do them every 2 weeks now.

I think im going to have to get a protein skimmer too and ordered one online the other day. I know it will only make the water cleaner.

Any suggestions? Thanks. 4 pics attached

Attachments

• img6.jpg
    img6.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG00017.jpg
    IMG00017.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG00026.jpg
    IMG00026.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 50
Kinda looks like normal algae that forms along the front of the tank at the glass. If it starts "creeping" out onto the sand bed and is slimy, then it's most likely cyanobacteria and is a sign of excess nutrients in the tank.

If the stuff in the front bothers you, you can always siphon that part of the sand out along the front. I do that from time to time on mine.

Yep normal stuff. I just swipe with my blade to remove mine.

Good luck with that yellow tang going in first. They can be really mean to newcomers after they've established "their" territory. Maybe you got a nice one. What other fish you wanting to add? ususall, the more timid should go in first.

A skimmer is a good idea. It will help to remove DOC`s that will eventually become a fuel source for nuisance algea. What brand did you order?

yeah, im able to scratch it off, and its not a hassle if i take care of it in the early stages. this actually came from about 10 days of not touching it. in the past id clean my glass at least every 3 days or so and change the water 10% weekly, but now will do it bi-weekly that the tank has cycled fully. i just feel like when i get a new tank, ill use sand instead of crushed coral. it seems too easy for stuff to grow on it and waste to get trapped, looks cleaner too. im thinkin fine white sand. and an upgrade to 120 in about 2 years.

what if i just limit the crushed coral layer that is sitting up against the glass, and pull it away from the glass?

i did not know yellow tang was a bad fish to have first. after my damsels it seems like the best first fish to get being my first tank and first expensive fish. id rather put a 50 dollar fish in rather than a 200 dollar one and have it die if i am doing something wrong but all is well.

there were 2 tangs in the store, one was very boring, and hid behind a rock in a display tank, and this one i got instead was very active, and lived in a tank with live coral for sale. its behavior slightly worries me. i know it still might be getting used to the tank.. but its very scared when i approach the tank. hides behind my live rock and is very jumpy. i think my damsels were the same and now they actually come right up to me when i open the top because they know i feed them. all my fish get along, the black and white damsels still chase the blue ones, sometimes. i think one in particular is kind of a bully and chase fish around for a few seconds but its not an ongoing problem, looks rather playful.

I'd like to add clownfish, blue emperor, and a blue hippo tang. maybe a fire angel also. from now on i will be really cautious on what livestock to add and in what order. i was just really set on getting a yellow tang first, wanted to for a while.. and the price was right for my first real fish.

i also thought to myself also it might be tough to add the juvenile emperor or fire angel, even clownfish, because of the typical rule to add the larger fish later and the smaller fish first. my tang has not ever bothered my damsels so i think it has good temperament.

i ordered a coral life to put in the sump. i think id rather hang it on the side first to suck out most of the crap directly from the tank water, rather than already filtered water. i read its a good bang for your buck. not low quality, it has a good price, and performs well. if i had a lot of money, i would definatly get a redsea skimmer.
after that i think ill add some buffer or research chemicals best.

anybody have any idea why my coral/rock turned a chalk white color? purple growth still good in the rest of the tank. was it the snails?

What size is the tank? You may be planning on too many fish with the angels and another tang.

That tang is still getting used to the big shadow outside his unfamiliar new home. Give him some time.

Back
Top Bottom