A few plant questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maridia

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello everyone I was wanting to conduct multiple experiments, but I wanted to ask if anyone here has had any experience with the following (I know this probably depends on the plant):

1. Will a plant survive and grow if I put it in a small glass jar of water? I would probably throw in a root tab, some leaf zone, and liquid Co2. No substrate or dirt.

1B. Can the jar be sealed shut? Or do plants need some level of oxygen the way fish do? (No fish)

1C. Do plants need water movement/current/surface agitation, or can it do well in completely still water? (No fish)

2. Does a plant grow better with tap water or would using RO/DI be better?

3. As part of the jar experiment, how much natural sunlight does an aquatic plant like? Direct sunlight, I do not wish to fry them or expose them to temperatures out of their range.

4. Do plants like a combination of dirt and potting soil?

5. Will normal plant fertilizers work? (There would be no fish with this experiment)

6. How will plants do in Reef spectrum lighting? ie, actinic blues, bright whites. Obviously I will "not" be putting my plants in saltwater. LOL! I may have one in a container sitting on the hood of my Reef tank.

Any info would be awesome! I can't wait to try some of these out.

Hello everyone I was wanting to conduct multiple experiments, but I wanted to ask if anyone here has had any experience with the following (I know this probably depends on the plant):

1. Will a plant survive and grow if I put it in a small glass jar of water? I would probably throw in a root tab, some leaf zone, and liquid Co2. No substrate or dirt.

1B. Can the jar be sealed shut? Or do plants need some level of oxygen the way fish do? (No fish)

1C. Do plants need water movement/current/surface agitation, or can it do well in completely still water? (No fish)

2. Does a plant grow better with tap water or would using RO/DI be better?

3. As part of the jar experiment, how much natural sunlight does an aquatic plant like? Direct sunlight, I do not wish to fry them or expose them to temperatures out of their range.

4. Do plants like a combination of dirt and potting soil?

5. Will normal plant fertilizers work? (There would be no fish with this experiment)

6. How will plants do in Reef spectrum lighting? ie, actinic blues, bright whites. Obviously I will "not" be putting my plants in saltwater. LOL! I may have one in a container sitting on the hood of my Reef tank.

Any info would be awesome! I can't wait to try some of these out.

1. It depends on the plant, I have some java fern in a jar with no problems. But they do probably need some sort of substrate.

1B. Plants need CO2, not oxygen.

Otherwise, these sound like great experiments!

Aquatic plants need both oxygen & co2..plants use co2 whilst there is sufficient light for photosynthesis&oxygen when no light is present..

1a yes but I would suggest a substrate unless it is a floating plant like hornwort or something.
1b you could have it sealed but I would open it every once in a while to change water.
1c you can have it still water but make sure you have new water from water changes.
2 tap water no RO. RO takes out all the essential nutrients and minerals plants need. I have actually heard that RO waist water will make some plants go crazy with growth.
3 I would start with 6 hours of sun light if you get algey you need less light if the plant doesn't grow mor light.
4 plants love dirt I mean love dirt. Potting soil is awesome but make sure it is organic.
5 yes. Definitely no fish it would be too small.
6 I have had me experience with reef lights but I have heard that too much light can be bad for plants. I would like to hear how the plant under the reef light dose.

Hope I have helped.

Sent via Messenger of Gondor

Not sure how aquatic plants react to chlorine you might want to use a dechlorinator if not using RODI.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I'll definitely take all this into consideration. Thanks for all the good responses.

Back
Top Bottom