a few questions about my female betta!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KeeleyBurd

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
First, I gave her a guppy fry (which she loved and gobbled right up!) and I just want to make sure they are healthy for her before giving her anymore.

Second, I think she made a bubble nest? It came up in like an hour or so? She's quite small so I don't believe she's a he. Although I have read online that some male plakats can be mistaken as females and sold as such.

Lastly, is there anyway to be sure if she could be a he?

I'd like to know if I should continue calling her Petunia, or change her name to Petey LOL

If your bred the guppy fry, then it should be fine. The real issue with live food comes from the possibility of introducing a disease or something that the feeder fish had.
Yes, sometimes it can hard to tell the genders apart, especially when the fish is small. I know you have a picture of her in your other thread, but it would be a good idea to put up a picture of her here to. :)

Oh yes, I just had this happen... No wonder my betta sorority crashed and burned- one of them was a male. Now that petunia is blue you could see if you can see the white spot on her underbelly. -- although there are cases reported of males with a white spot and females without -- it will at least give you a clue. Females do make bubble nests - mine just did, but they are usually pretty small.

Also, the front ventral fins - the ones on the front bottom -- tend to be longer on males, even plakats.

image-595294066.jpg

Here is my female imposter... I did something kinda risky, but I considered it a trial run for starting to breed bettas... I put him in a ten gallon with lots of plants and introduced a female ... He chased her, then she chased him, back and forth for awhile. Then I put them both back in their respective homes... Sure enough, the next morning there was a big ole bubble nest in his tank. I figured that was a good indication that he was a he for sure!

yup... based on the first pic... petunia is a he :) he's very pretty though!

Back
Top Bottom