A few questions about nerite snails...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Monzie

Aquarium Advice Regular
We've been fighting brown algae in our 27 gal freshwater tank for about two months. It's been really frustrating because the only way we have found to stay ahead of it is to do almost total water changes weekly and to carefully sponge every single piece of decor in the tank clean. Our tank is relatively new...we've had it running about six months...and extremely understocked due to troubles with new fish die-off. Right now, we have eight Harlequin Rasboras, a vampire shrimp, and a Powder Blue Dwarf Gourami who has a mysterious lump that we are going to address with antibiotics starting tomorrow. He's going into our 5 gallon quarantine tank to be medicated away from his tank mates.

Several people have suggested that we purchase a few nerite snails to help us with the algae issue. My question regards quarantining snails. If they subsist primarily on the detritus in the tank, what do they eat in a squeaky clean QT? Also, since we are going to have our QT up and running for our gourami, can we just put them in with him while he's being treated? Or will the Maracyn harm the snails? Has anyone had problems with nerites infecting their main tank when they weren't quarantined? If we're buying them from an LFS that generally keeps their snails in separate small tanks, is there even any concern that they might spread disease into our main tank? What should we be looking for as far as "healthy" snails go?

Thanks in advance...

Usually when there us an algae issue it's best to solve the root of the problem, but I'm not very knowledgeable about that. But, I'll still answer your snail questions because I love nerites and I think they're a beautiful edition to any tank!
I don't think quarantining snails is necessary. I'm not sure about that particular medication, but I know many meds will kill invertebrates. As far as a healthy snail goes, just look for one that's actively moving around and has a nice smooth shell without cracks :)

Invert issues will rarely if ever transmit to fish so there's no need to quarantine. However it is possible that the water they are in is contaminated so be sure not to add any water into the tank from the lfs.

As for the diatom algae that you are having problems with it is caused by an excess amount of silicates in the water supply for your tank. They will usually go away when the silica in the tank is gone but there might be some in your water supply. The nerites will gleefully chow down on the diatoms so they would be a great option to combat the issue.

How long are you leaving the tank lights on for? Where are you getting your water from

I prefer to give my snails as much of a rinse as possible without frightening them before putting them in the tank. LFS tanks sometimes have snails with fish or with just a separator that allows water flow-through. Take any container you can easily reach into (an old clean margarine/butter tub or glass baking pan will do) and put some room temp water in it, then put in the snail. It'll get a good rinse moving around in there for a bit and then you can move it into your tank.

Certainly not necessary, but after a mysterious illness in my tank I no longer take chances with any livestock if possible.

I have yet to QT any snails. I do rinse them off in treated water or a bit of tank water before I put them in, just in case the water they came in had something in it. Other than that, no issues. They will gleefully chow down on the diatoms and any other algae and biofilm. I have clear uplift tubes on sponge filters that over time get pretty brown inside. Some is diatoms, some is just crud.
I leave the tubes off for a few days now and then and let the snails clean them. They do it better than I can with an assortment of brushes.

I prefer to give my snails as much of a rinse as possible without frightening them before putting them in the tank. LFS tanks sometimes have snails with fish or with just a separator that allows water flow-through. Take any container you can easily reach into (an old clean margarine/butter tub or glass baking pan will do) and put some room temp water in it, then put in the snail. It'll get a good rinse moving around in there for a bit and then you can move it into your tank.

Certainly not necessary, but after a mysterious illness in my tank I no longer take chances with any livestock if possible.

good advice. also make sure to condition the water before putting the snails in. you could just use some tank water if you want. :flowers:

Thanks all!

We brought home six zebra nerites and two mystery snails yesterday. Dumped the LFS bag water and transferred them to some clean, conditioned water in my Pyrex brownie pan. It was fun to watch then cruising around in there "taking a bath". After a couple of hours, we set them free in the main tank and they have been munching our brown algae ever since. Yay snails!

Not sure whether there are a lot of silicates in the tap water we use in our tank or not. It's a new aquarium, so that's part of the problem, right? And I put the lights on a timer, which has helped. But, before the snails, the algae was out of control. It had to hand wash every single piece of decor in the tank at least once a week or they would be completely covered. Hopefully our new invertebrate clean up crew will make my job a bit easier. They seem happy right now. Its like Old Algae Buffet in there at the moment! (y)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom