A Friendly Hello :) - new tank cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't see why you are adding fish yet? I've almost finished a fishless cycle and used ammonia. It's taken me almost 2 weeks and no fish have been harmed at all.

Anyway if you are intent on adding fish, neon tetras are too weak if your tank hasn't cycled yet. Personally I think it's cruel to regard losing half your tetras so lightly. They will suffer and however cheap they may be to replace their welfare should matter.

Here in Australia pure ammonia is extremely hard to come by. It's not readily available in the shops and can often only be found through cleaning wholesalers. To fishless cycle a prawn or fish food is needed.

Though neons can be sensitive they seem to be a bit better bred here in Aus. They don't seem to die at the drop of a hat. 5 neons in a 26g/100L tank aren't going to produce massive amounts of ammonia and poison themselves overnight.

To the OP, I agree you shouldn't be so quick to write off some of the fish. It's your job to provide them with the best care you can give them. They are your pets so they are your responsibility. I wouldn't expect to loose any to the cycle if you keep up the water testing and water changes as needed.

I think you linked some of it, but thanks again

5 sounds better,but might end up with plants today instead... we will see haha

Impatience would probably be why, but note I said considering... all going well I was considering strongly about doing this right, and fishless cycling it, however not interested in rotting a prawn in my tank, the tank is in my bedroom, and don't really feel like bad odours in my room. As I have no idea on where to get pure ammonia, and I'm not rotting dead matter in my tank, it will be ammonia via flakes, or fish.

Ditching neons anyway i think, was thinking about it last night, and I don't really like them anyway, probably why Im not worried about losing any.

I think you linked some of it, but thanks again

5 sounds better,but might end up with plants today instead... we will see haha

Impatience would probably be why, but note I said considering... all going well I was considering strongly about doing this right, and fishless cycling it, however not interested in rotting a prawn in my tank, the tank is in my bedroom, and don't really feel like bad odours in my room. As I have no idea on where to get pure ammonia, and I'm not rotting dead matter in my tank, it will be ammonia via flakes, or fish.

Ditching neons anyway i think, was thinking about it last night, and I don't really like them anyway, probably why Im not worried about losing any.

I'm not sure that a prawn in your tank would smell, as it would be immersed in water?

I take your point about not liking one fish over another but it is still a life.

I have a tank I inherited from a friend which is overcrowded and I will be moving them to my cycled tank tonight but for the two weeks they have been in the small tank I checked ammonia and nitrite levels morning and night and only fed them every other day and did partial water changes when I detected ammonia. You can do it but just keep checking the levels of ammonia and nitrite often.

Try to do it so you don't lose fish - I am sure you can. Remember to tap safe your water before adding any too.

Holding back on fish, might just give it a couple weeks, got plenty of aquascaping to do anyway

Holding back on fish, might just give it a couple weeks, got plenty of aquascaping to do anyway

I think that's wise. I've just about finished cycling two tanks and they've taken about 10 -14 days - I was using ammonia but you can use fish flakes/food. The nitrogen cycle is about developing bacteria and then feeding it so you will need to add a little fish food regularly and keep testing. I can't remember but did you say you have a liquid test kit like API? It's just the strips can be badly inaccurate.

Here's a link to step-by-step cycling with fish food (you will need to scroll down the page):

http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_51/fishless-cycling-article.htm

Keep us updated :)

If you are not adding fish in the next few days you will need to get an ammonia source in the tank ASAP. You need to keep a very close eye on ammonia levels and don't let them drop too far.

If you are not adding fish in the next few days you will need to get an ammonia source in the tank ASAP. You need to keep a very close eye on ammonia levels and don't let them drop too far.

Yes definitely! Because I use pure ammonia what would you suggest? Fish flakes?

Would the prawn smell badly though?

Not that bad from what I've heard. You have to replace the prawn every so often before it disintegrates too much. That helps avoid the smell. Fish food is going to stick also because its rotting. Pure ammonia is far superior for that reason.

Sean - I have moved the entire thread from introductions to fresh water & brackish getting started and added to the title.

Last edited:
Thankyou mumma of two :) good work

no worries, what about storebought stuff? could i find a decent cycling liquid mix? really dont want to use a prawn...

Thankyou mumma of two :) good work no worries, what about storebought stuff? could i find a decent cycling liquid mix? really dont want to use a prawn...
Store bought ammonia? Like cloudy ammomia? Its no good. There use to be a product that was basically a crystalized ammonia that you could mix up and use to fishless cycle. I can't seem to locate any recent info on it. Not sure if its available anymore.

Another option could be to attempt a silent cycle. It's a fish in cycle thats assisted with heavy plantings of stem plants to take up most of the ammonia. That's how I cycled my 270L when it was a planted tank. http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_silent_cycling.php

Is it not possible to buy ammonia on eBay? You guys have eBay right? Would they not ship it? I am in the UK and I bought mine on eBay and it arrived in a couple of days.

Back
Top Bottom