A friend's sick Silver Dollar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pitt420dude

Aquarium Advice Addict
Pittsburgh! Home of the 6 Time Superbowl Champs!
Please help me diagnose the problem with a friend's Silver Dollar. You can see there is a white sore/mark with a piece of flesh hanging off. The whole thing is about the size of a dime.

img_867725_0_fdffb032a2f8528af67f2f35b86a671f.jpg

img_867725_1_3b48ee1e8bd4df6e39bfe2a70bdd98ed.jpg

I'll try to get water params from him, but nothing drastic has changed recently. No new additions and no new aquascaping.

The fish is swimming fine too. It is not listing, nor is it top or bottom dwelling. AFAIK, it is eating fine, but he states that it is restless and appears stressed.

Also, he is an aquarist (obviously) and an avid internet message board poster. On AA however, he just lurks, so show him how great we all are and maybe he will have MTS in no time! Thanks in advance!

What other fish in the tank? Perhaps it is an injury from another fish that is not healing well? Depending on tankmates I would do a water change and add some melafix for starters.

IIRC, other inhabitants are two chinese algae eaters (my first suspects), then four angels (two large, two smaller), a kuhli loach, a botia loach, some cories, and I think that is it.

Still the wound looks large, too big for the mark to be made by another inhabitant's mouth don't you think? Perhaps it is an aggravated sore/wound from constant biting?

Still it's strange, I've never seen anythink like it.

I agree a PWC is in order as usual, just to be on the safe side.

Back
Top Bottom