A Group Poll - RO vs. tap water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spinman

Aquarium Advice Freak
All,

As I get closer to getting my FOWLR online, I'd like to get a consensus, much like my DSB thread, on whether RO/DI is a must or can you get by with tap water.

Thx,

Mike

Depends on the tap water, but since you live in New Jersey (no offense) I'd definitely suggest RO/DI water only.

I started my 75g tank in march with RO water. Knowing what I do now I would go with RODI. Now I need to get a DI unit to add to my RO. I now have cyano (see my post "Cyano? (pic)" which I believe (not positive at this point though) is because of the lack of DI.
This, of course, all depends on your source water. Some people do fine with tap and others end up having problems with it.

Steve

RO/DI from the begining. It is likely to save you headaches down the road.

The LFS here in town said Enid (my town) water is pretty darn good, and they said either Tap or RO/DI water is fine.

Seeing how many RO/DI people have cyano (main reason I wouldve gone with RO/DI) I am staying with tap water ;)

Seeing how many RO/DI people have cyano (main reason I wouldve gone with RO/DI) I am staying with tap water
Huh?? Is that a joke I missed? RO/DI water does NOT cause algae/cyano... it can ONLY HELP combat algae/cyano issues.
*Edit*-I get what you're saying zacdl. Investing in an RO/DI unit will almost certainly save you some trouble down the road. Do you know the TDS of your tap water? How about the po4 level?

Its not like 2-3 years ago when they were 200-300 for a ro/di... there only $100 now what is 100 when your dealing with a SW tank where rock is $8 a pound... It will be the best $100 you can spend on your tank IMO.
I have around $4000 in my 125 reef so what what is another 100-150... If you plan on corals and anemones I would get one you will not be sorry..

True there is waste water when making ro/di water, this water can be used for many things. I have me unit near the washing machine so I have the waste water going into the washer and i use that to start a load of laundry. Some people save it to water there plants.
How much gas do you burn going to the store to buy water? The LFS where I used to buy water was 40 min away, so when you add it up I spend more money buying water then making my own. And almost every time your at the store you buy something else.
There are some good units on e-bay.. I have a unit from airwaterice.com they are great people there and very helpful.

Back
Top Bottom