A lil help...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr.5150

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey,
I just cleaned my 30 gal tank and i kinda want it to stay that way for a while. I noticed that whatever i do i always have some form of Cyano growing somewhere in my tank. I just noticed today a small batch on a piece of my live rock. I was just wonderin whats the best way to handle this problem? I would really be interested in some sort of critter that can handle this but not sure what to get. If anyone can let me know the best advice for taking care of Cyano once and for all please let me know...THANKS

Are you using RODI water? What kind of skimmer you running? Cyano feeds off nutrients you have in your tank. They are coming from somewhere (source water, overpopulation, poor skimmer) What kind of substrate do you have?

Yes i am aware of those factors as i was told. Well i am using RODI water that i purchase from a local pure water store (they have a hugh RO unit), I dont feed anything because all i have in there are hermits and a few snails. I can see some of the cyano spreading already...so i will have to remove the rock and scrub it again. This is a big hassel as I have to undo all the rock work and fix it all up again after i finished scraping the rocks. The light I use which is a CustomSeaLife Smart Lamp(s) (half 10,000°K Ultra-Daylight and half Ultra-Actinic) seems to be making in cyano grow more rapidly. The brown is spreading...what can i do to avoid painful rock scraping and constant tank cleaning??? Any input is greatly appriciated...THANKS

How old is your tank? Most newly setup tanks will have an algae bloom.

If you tank has been around a while also consider how old the bulbs are, PC bulbs will have a spectrum shift anytime between 6 - 18 months that moves the bulbs spectrum more to the red which causes blooms. If your primarily noticing this after a water change then I would test the water you are buying for PO4 just to be safe. If Jamal's post above and mine don't seem to fit the problem you might try more snails or wait for more opinions.

Yea i noticed that...I just want my tank to stay the way it looks after i have cleaned it...but its never like that. I have new lights so i dont think its that. I just probably need to get some more snails to keep it under control. Thanks for the input.

Back
Top Bottom