a list item long past due

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rianngarrick

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone. My family often had a 10 gallon tank while I was growing up. I never tended one. My kids are grown and on their own and I finally took up the learning process of starting up my own 10 gallon tank in the fall of 2011. I've always loved the serenity of a tank. I had no problems starting up. It was several months before I needed any helpful information and I found this site came up in my inquiries often. I've been able to employ the info and I enjoy the courtesy I've seen on this forum. I live in an apartment that is bright with sunlight kept warm (I have no control) and my tank after the first winter rose in temperature. From the beginning I have never had a light on or a heater on. I removed them from the tank. It doesn't sit in direct light. I started with 10 fish. I joined this forum yesterday with problems I was having and received an immediate response. That was wonderful. I hope to be back up to 10 fish in the near future. Looking forward to browsing this site and learning from the experts. Thanks so much.

Welcome to AA, glad to have you here! 10 fish sounds like a lot of fish, but if you have something like white cloud mountain minnows and shrimp, I guess that's fine, what fish do you have in there?

thanks for the welcome. I have only 7 fish at the moment - 3 cardinals and 4 raspboras. I'd like a couple platys. I was also thinking an autocat but I've noticed my algae is brown, not green. I'm not sure what that means or if it is ok for the autocat.

Brown algea I have heard can be caused by not enough light .

I can't remember the type of raspboras. They are silver with a black triangular end and an orange/red stripe along the top, around the eyes and the fins & tail.
I don't think light is an issue, although they only get the natural light of the day. The tank light increased the temperature significantly too high.

Back
Top Bottom