A little help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chenay83

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok I went into petsmart intending to get a pair of convicts but they didn't have any. Somehow the guy convinced me to get the cichlids in the ''assorted'' tank. Now I have no idea what I have. Can someone please tell me what kind of fish I have? Oh, I almost forgot to mention, there might be more than one kind.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110807_224132.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110807_224132.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 164
  • ForumRunner_20110807_224148.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110807_224148.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 170
Chenay83 said:
Ok I went into petsmart intending to get a pair of convicts but they didn't have any. Somehow the guy convinced me to get the cichlids in the ''assorted'' tank. Now I have no idea what I have. Can someone please tell me what kind of fish I have?

I would never listen to the Petco guy. They are 90% of the time wrong. I once asked them why they had a tang in a biocube..."Because they're so pretty to be in there!"

I assume they are African cichlids. First I would find out what they are and see if they are even compatible with each other. If not return them to the store.

Well I do know they are african but that's all I know. I tried to do some identifying myself but it was useless because some cichlids look different as they get older.

I believe the blue is a Kenyi African Cichlid the others may be might be albino red finned Zebra Cichlids they are an Mbuna AFAIK. Read up on Africans before they kill each other.

Coursair said:
I believe the blue is a Kenyi African Cichlid the others may be might be albino red finned Zebra Cichlids they are an Mbuna AFAIK. Read up on Africans before they kill each other.

I worked at Petsmart. We sold each of these separately as well as in the mixed tank. Petsmart has some pics on their site that might get you started. Then read up on better sites.

Looks like a Kenyi and albino red zebras. Kenyis are hyper aggressive and not normally a good fish for beginners, the two Kenyis I have are absolute terrors they have killed a new fish with in 15-20 mins of me adding them in.

What size tank are all of these fish in? There's a good chance they will get to big in the long run to be kept in the tank because Mbuna need to be overstocked to prevent aggression.

Personally I would return them and tell the manager you got pressured into buying fish you did not want and find out when the convicts will be coming back instock so you could buy them. If they refuse simply just boycott that store and shop some where else.

I like the kenyi. I have what looks like a male and female in a 20gal at the moment. Will it be ok to keep just these two themselves? Any tips?

Chenay83 said:
I like the kenyi. I have what looks like a male and female in a 20gal at the moment. Will it be ok to keep just these two themselves? Any tips?

You will not be able to keep any of those fish in a 20 gallon nore could you of kept convicts. Kenyis get 6-8" long and are hyper aggressive best only kept with other Kenyis, mine are constantly on the move and I would not keep these fish in anything smaller than 55/75 gal, 6' tank would be ideal. You will not be able to sex your Kenyis at that size, the male Kenyi will actually turn yellow and the females stay the juvi. color.

One has a deep color and the other ones stripes look like they are fading and it has a faint yellow tint to it. I would like to get a 200gal but I can't seem to find one I was told I'd be better off making one. Are there any fish that can be housed with them at all?

Chenay83 said:
One has a deep color and the other ones stripes look like they are fading and it has a faint yellow tint to it. I would like to get a 200gal but I can't seem to find one I was told I'd be better off making one. Are there any fish that can be housed with them at all?

You can get other fish to be with them but they need to get to be roughly the same size and have the same temperament. Overstocking and keeping the proper male to female ratio is one way to quell aggression in Mbuna.

Mogurako said:
You can get other fish to be with them but they need to get to be roughly the same size and have the same temperament. Overstocking and keeping the proper male to female ratio is one way to quell aggression in Mbuna.

Plus lots of caves and sight breaks. Make sure they are eating a veggie based diet. Ours loved zucchini, romaine and occasional spinach. Peel zuchs or buy organic and rinse well.

Feeding veggies isn't 100% needed, just be sure to feed a good quality food like Hakari, Omega One or New life spectrum and they should be just fine.

Can you give me an idea of how long I have before they get aggressive. They seem to be okay for right now. They all seem to have claimed one of caves and don't seem to mind sharing the open areas.

They each have their own space when they don't want to be bothered and they don't fight during feeding times.

Maybe I'm wrong but aren't most cichlids from some part of Africa? If that's all the info the lps gave you it's not very informative.

Tigroscr said:
Maybe I'm wrong but aren't most cichlids from some part of Africa? If that's all the info the lps gave you it's not very informative.

All "african" Cichlids are. Some are from south america as well I believe.

bruinsbro1997 said:
Yes, they come from Africa, South America and if you can find them Asia...

There's the African, south American, central American, new world and yes some from asia.

If the fish aren't aggressive yet they will be before to long. My Kenyis were evil little buggers from the start.

Back
Top Bottom