A little help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'll be honest, in both of my tanks I have some algae and cyano down in the sandbed along the glass. I just ignore it as part of my sandbed. I've had it down there even with perfect parameters, couldn't tell you why. If it isn't on your rocks or on top of the sandbed, I wouldn't worry about it.

Sniperhank said:
I'll be honest, in both of my tanks I have some algae and cyano down in the sandbed along the glass. I just ignore it as part of my sandbed. I've had it down there even with perfect parameters, couldn't tell you why. If it isn't on your rocks or on top of the sandbed, I wouldn't worry about it.

Exactly right. As for why it's prone to appear there, I think cyano just likes the fact that the sand against the glass has low water flow, plenty of nutrients, and access to light. I find that if you scrape it off with a razor once or twice a year it'll be gone from site for about 80% of the life of the tank. It's more about esthetics honestly.

mikestanked said:
yes my LFS does water test, for free.
currently im using distilled water from the grocery store, my LFS said that its ok and i've had no issues to date.

How do you replace your water during water changes? i currently replace my water by lifting a 5g jug of SW and pouring it directly in the tank and all at once.

Some people advise against distilled water on the basis that most water distillation is done using copper elements, pipes or vats. I read those warnings a while back and it may be that stainless steel is more common these days but that's the only possible drawback I've ever heard. If you can get to from the LFS it may be better or may not be.

Yep, buckets are the standard go-to water transportation facilitator. lol My brother uses a small water pump with a hose on the end to pump the water from a 15 gallon bucket into the tank. It's the same pump he uses to oxygenate and mix the salt in his bucket. Very handy.

Back
Top Bottom