A little plant advice please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robs_seven

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I built a new aquarium stand for my 36gal bow front. I just moved the stand into place and have to do a few little things this weekend to finish it up. My plan is Sunday to move my tank to its new home. My tank is stocked and I feel has been mostly successful for some one like me who was and still is a stranger to aquariums (only had my setup for 4 months). I have a planted tank with java ferns, amazon swords, anubius, moss ball, anacharis, and a few little grasses (not exactly sure on all these). I tried dwarf hair grass but it would never hang around. I have been using the gravel bottom and an artificial rock structure so far.

Right now I use a fertilizer tab, CO2 liquid additive, and leaf zone liquid

My questions:
I have noticed some discoloring of the leafs of the swords and have trimmed them but I'm not sure if its the right thing to do?
Do I need more light, suggested light watts and timing? (stock 1 bulb light and added LED bar)
Should I change my substrate from gravel to sand?
If I keep the gravel should I rinse it while its drained?
Is it safe to up root and re-landscape while moving the tank?

Sorry for all the questions but any and all advice during this is greatly appreciated. I'm a bit nervous thinking about doing this

I have been thinking of a CO2 system in the near future?

Thanks
Robby

I hope to get this done and get some pictures

My questions:
I have noticed some discoloring of the leafs of the swords and have trimmed them but I'm not sure if its the right thing to do?
The discoloration is from a nutrient deficiency. The swords likely need a fresh root tab at this point in time.
Do I need more light, suggested light watts and timing? (stock 1 bulb light and added LED bar)
Yes and no. If you want to expand the types of plants that you want then you should probably look into a different light fixture. I would suggest a dual t5ho aquatic life fixture, that's what I use and I am very happy with it.
Should I change my substrate from gravel to sand?
Gravel will work but sand tends to be easier to keep clean as well as easier to keep plants anchored into.
If I keep the gravel should I rinse it while its drained?
I wouldn't bother
Is it safe to up root and re-landscape while moving the tank?
It certainly is as long as you are gentle with it.

Sorry for all the questions but any and all advice during this is greatly appreciated. I'm a bit nervous thinking about doing this

I have been thinking of a CO2 system in the near future?
I wouldn't bother with one unless you increase the amount of light over your tank.

How long have you had the swords for ? You might want to look into seachem flourish.. leafzone nly has iron and potassium in it

Awesome info, thank you. My aquarium has been planted for about 2-3 months. I started with artificial plants not knowing what I was doing. I use the API leaf zone and root tabs. The local place I go to doesn't have the seachem.

I will look into the lighting and most likely do a little landscaping.

I will let you know how it goes Sunday.

Thanks

Your swords need root tabs on a regular basis as they get most of their nutrients via their roots. They don't utilize ferts in the water column nearly well enough to support them. Once you add new root tabs and keep them added into the substrate every 3 months or so your swords will really flourish and get all the nutrients they need.

Your swords need root tabs on a regular basis as they get most of their nutrients via their roots. They don't utilize ferts in the water column nearly well enough to support them. Once you add new root tabs and keep them added into the substrate every 3 months or so your swords will really flourish and get all the nutrients they need.

+1 but it really depends on the type of root tabs how often you need to replace them. Most of them that I've found in stores require monthly replacement.

Thank you all for all the info. I will replace the tabs when I move it.

Got everything moved over. Was more to it than I thought. My wife and I drained and moved everyone to big tubs and pulled the plants. I got my new stand level and in place. Attached a strap to the wall and stand to prevent tipping. Ran all my wiring and surge protector neatly tucked away. Re planted everything, filled the tank, and put in the fish. Everything seems normal. I did have a little ammonia spike up to .25ppm and ph drop to 6.5

Waters still a tiny bit cloudy. I stained my doors and put on my first coat of poly, and hope to put another on tomorrow. Once the doors are dry and mounted I will take a photo

Thanks for the help

Robby

Back
Top Bottom