A Million Plant Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So bump up the co2 a bit and see if that helps?

Or up your Phosphates. Or both.

when should I cut off the plantlets on my sword?
IMG552.jpg

Can you get us a bigger picture?

skywhitney said:
I just set up a CO2 system on my tank this weekend. For a 5lbs tank, Milwaukee regulator, solenoid, PH Controller, DIY reactor, and tubing it cost me about $225 ($250 after shipping costs). Its all initial cost. The maintenance cost after it is going is almost negligible. If you can afford the cost i'd definitely recommend getting the pressurized setup.

Where did you buy it?

I would check around to see if you can find a co2 tank from a local welding store or a brewing company. A lot of the time you can find them pretty cheap locally

So my anubias that I've had for about a month or so is developing some brown spots and is slowly losing it's bright green color and turning yellow on the older leaves. What could be the cause of this?

I've got it loosely attached to a plastic piece of drift wood. I stopped dosing the plant food because it has copper and I've got ghost shrimp

So my anubias that I've had for about a month or so is developing some brown spots and is slowly losing it's bright green color and turning yellow on the older leaves. What could be the cause of this?

Check your nitrate.

Also, no liquid ferts will hurt your shrimp at normal concentrations (unless you're overdosing). Shrimp actually need copper in their diet; it's not strictly a poison. When I had shrimp, I dosed CSM+B according to EI, and I never had a problem.

I shall indeed tomorrow. :( I just gave my kit to my manager to test her levels.

Is it possibly too low/high?

I'd been dosing since I had the cray and he was doing fine... I just worried about the silly ghost shrimp.

I read somewhere that the yellowing leaves could also be caused by too much light. Is this possible or too high/low nitrates?

bigbanker said:
Are these snails okay with my plants?

yup :) I have them ( mystery snails) in all my tanks. only plant they have ever eatten in my tanks was floating riccia ( which was hilarious to watch)

bigbanker said:
I read somewhere that the yellowing leaves could also be caused by too much light. Is this possible or too high/low nitrates?

High light > more nutrient demand > depletion of nitrogen source > nitrogen deprivation

So in a way, high light does lead to yellowing leaves, as many people falsely believe that their bioload will keep up with the nutrient demands of their plants.

Thank you so much everyone! Transitioning to a planted tank has been interesting. Here is an update.... My large amazon sword is slowly bouncing back. Though I did notice a few holes in the leaf. The majority of my italian val melted and what was left.my cray uprooted. The dwarf sag is also growing.... It is a plant I enjoy.

Too slow down how much light my anubis was getting I moved it lower. It seems to appreciate it. another type of anubis I had I left a bit higher up and it is growing slowly. I have not started dosing again.

My cray will be moving tanks shortly and i'll try again with more plants. He got rid of baby tears, wisteria, and two types of lugwida. Boooooo :)

I added an additional filter AND I cleaned the hose to the fluval (the flow was super slow!) and now my water is ultra cloudy. Now I'm confused!

Back
Top Bottom