A mistake?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lonewolfblue

Aquarium Advice Addict
I did a PWC on my 75G, and shortly after starting I saw steam rising from the far corner. I checked it, and found the inline heater was still on and it was sizzling. So I immediately unplugged it. I never had this happen before. I hope it's not damaged. After the PWC and filter maintenance, I plugged everything back in, and no leaks at the filter, so I hope everything is ok. I wonder why the filter stayed on when it was that hot, hmmm.... Seems to be working fine....

Lonewolfblue said:
I did a PWC on my 75G, and shortly after starting I saw steam rising from the far corner. I checked it, and found the inline heater was still on and it was sizzling. So I immediately unplugged it. I never had this happen before. I hope it's not damaged. After the PWC and filter maintenance, I plugged everything back in, and no leaks at the filter, so I hope everything is ok. I wonder why the filter stayed on when it was that hot, hmmm.... Seems to be working fine....

Are you using one of the Hydor ETH inline heaters? If so, how long have you had it? I have one connected to my Filstar and haven't had a problem since it was set up more than fifteen months ago. I even leave it plugged in when I have shut down the filter for monthly cleaning. I would definitely keep a close eye on the tank temperature to make sure the heater is functioning normally.

Yes, it's the Hydor ETH 300. It's hooked up to my XP3 output. What happened was when I was doing the PWC, I also did filter maintenance, which I usually never do at the same time. I normally do my PWC with the filter running, thus water keeps flowing through the heater. And when I do filter maintenance, there's always water in the output, as the spraybar would always stay below the waterline. Since the output of the filter was stopped and had no water from the spraybar being out of the water, the water got hot fast and started boiling. I quickly shut it off. As for now, it seems to be working fine. It's maintaining the temp properly. But I'm going to keep a close eye on it for a while. Don't want to take any chances.

Back
Top Bottom