A (most likely dumb) plant question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kellie

Aquarium Advice Activist
This is my first time doing a "real" planted tank, I'm sticking to the recommended easy to grow plants. They have been in the tank about a week, everything is looking great. My question is this... I've decided I want to put some really awesome wood I bought where I located some of the plants, the ones in question are java fern and anubis. Once they've been planted can they be moved without damaging the roots? Is sooner better then later? Or is this a non issue and can I move them whenever I want? And one more stupid question do the plants need to be kept away from the heater? My last aquariums were during the popularity of the under gravel filter and I've only ever had floating plants before.

Thanks,
Kellie

U can attach them anytime. Once they develop longer roots, they can become more difficult to remove, but it can be done. Best bet is to get them where u want them, sooner the better, so they can get a chance to grow.

i have an anubis by the heater and it does fine, ialso just put plant weights to my ferns and have them in hole of dw or behind rocks to not show the weights

I move my plants all the time(freaking Beavis and Butthead, my 2 Bumblebee cats keep up rooting them)

I had anubis in the sand for a while, but when I tied it to my DW it started to really grow(Little Shop of Horror type of growing!)

Just be careful when you dig them out, I run my fingers under them to the bottom of the tank and gently push them up. I also trim the roots when I replant them, but I dont think you have to do that

i have an anubis by the heater and it does fine, ialso just put plant weights to my ferns and have them in hole of dw or behind rocks to not show the weights

Personally I wouldn't leave plant weights on. You can just put the roots in the holes and they will attach. Or if you think they won't stay until the roots attach just take some black cotton thread and tie them down. The cotton thread will eventually rot away and your anubia will be attached long before that happens.

Rivercats said:
Personally I wouldn't leave plant weights on. You can just put the roots in the holes and they will attach. Or if you think they won't stay until the roots attach just take some black cotton thread and tie them down. The cotton thread will eventually rot away and your anubia will be attached long before that happens.

I only put the weights on my ferns when their not on wood like behing some rocks, my Anubis is tied to rocks with the rhizome above the substrate and the roots below. But thanks for the advice

greetings.

when you move a plant the roots will become damaged, and you sould expect it to take a few weeks for the plant to re-establish it's root net, moving the plant around every few weeks would be a problem but i doubt you'll be doing that.

sincerely,
nereksnad.

Anubis is best attached to driftwood and o believe the same is for java fern

Although both anubias and java fern do well attached to driftwood, they can do just as well when planted in the substrate.

maxwellag said:
Although both anubias and java fern do well attached to driftwood, they can do just as well when planted in the substrate.

Ah ok ive been reading up on plants in a book on aquarium plants and online everything ive read said that anubis grows via a ryzhome that if planted in substrate will rot maybe depends on the substrate

maxwellag said:

As for java fern i havent searched that much have been busy getting ready to move so research has slowed a bit

Kellie said:
This is my first time doing a "real" planted tank, I'm sticking to the recommended easy to grow plants. They have been in the tank about a week, everything is looking great. My question is this... I've decided I want to put some really awesome wood I bought where I located some of the plants, the ones in question are java fern and anubis. Once they've been planted can they be moved without damaging the roots? Is sooner better then later? Or is this a non issue and can I move them whenever I want? And one more stupid question do the plants need to be kept away from the heater? My last aquariums were during the popularity of the under gravel filter and I've only ever had floating plants before.

Thanks,
Kellie

Ok back on topic hopefully this has been helpful i am sorry did not mean to argue or hijack

Ah ok ive been reading up on plants in a book on aquarium plants and online everything ive read said that anubis grows via a ryzhome that if planted in substrate will rot maybe depends on the substrate

Unless you bury the whole rhizome in substrate, I don't see it rotting. Most of the time you would just bury the roots.

if the rhizome is planted under the substrate, yes, it rots. if the roots underneth the rhizome is planted in the substrate, and the rhizome itself is over the substrate it will do just fine.

sincerely,
nereksnad.

edit: aparently the browser didn't update the thread when i pressed refresh, sorry for bad post.

I don't know about anubias because mine is tied to a decoration but I read that java fern rhizome CAN be buried and so mine is and is doing amazing. It's sprouting up new leaves and has 10+ plantlets on the leaves, would be more if I didn't pull them off. Just my experience

Thank you guys so much, this discussion has been very helpful. I only have two anubis and will move both of those onto the mopani wood when its done being soaked (should be soon). I have a ton of the java fern and will move just the ones that are in the places I want the wood, some on the actual wood itself. I also have 4 bushes of crypt which I moved last night to frame some awesome "wonder stones" with holes in them, made some really neat looking caves with the placement of the stones and with the crypts framing it I have this forgotten underground ruin look in miniature. Thanks again for everyones help and debating the issue, I learned a lot.

Kellie said:
Thank you guys so much, this discussion has been very helpful. I only have two anubis and will move both of those onto the mopani wood when its done being soaked (should be soon). I have a ton of the java fern and will move just the ones that are in the places I want the wood, some on the actual wood itself. I also have 4 bushes of crypt which I moved last night to frame some awesome "wonder stones" with holes in them, made some really neat looking caves with the placement of the stones and with the crypts framing it I have this forgotten underground ruin look in miniature. Thanks again for everyones help and debating the issue, I learned a lot.

Your welcome would love to see pics when done

Ime anubis does better on substrates rather than attached to decor like java ferns. I think anubis will take nutrients from the substrate more readily than java fern. I believe java fern will more readily utilize nutrients in the water column. Don't get me wrong, they both do well anywhere as long as their rhizomes aren't burried. I'm merely speaking of what I've observed in my own tanks. Of all the aquatic plants though these 2 adapt to being moved repeatedly very well.

Back
Top Bottom