A newbie 60L 'FISHLESS CYCLE LOG'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jts123

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

Thought I'd share my 'Fishless' Cycle with you. (I will make on-going updates & edits to THIS post, as time goes on).
As this is my first attempt at fishkeeping for myself, trust you will please bare this in mind if I apprear to be making any 'classic newbie' mistakes during this process.

Without any Ammonia readily available at DAY 1 I thought I would start things off via the 'Fish Food' method and see how it goes for now, as I have read that some people have successfully cycled using 'food' as a means to start the good bacteria growth with.

TANK SPECS:
SIZE: 60 Litres (13 UK Gallon) - w60cm x d30cm x h35cm
HEATING: 100W Heater
FILTRATION: Marina S15 'HOB' Filter
SUBSTRATE: Standard & Micro (sand) Gravel mixture
DECOR/ADDITIONS: x1 Resin Plastic Immitation Rock Cave + x1 Small Ornimental Rock
TEST KIT: API MASTER TEST (FRESHWATER LIQUID BOTTLES)
TAP WATER: PH= 7 to 7.2 AMMONIA= 0.25ppm

LOG:
DAY-------- TEMP----- AMMONIA----- NITRITE----- NITRATE----- PH--------- ADDITIONAL NOTES--------------------------------------------------------------
DAY1------- 29c------ 0.25------------ 0.0----------- 5.0------------ 7.2-------- x1 Pinch of Food flakes added.
DAY2------- 30c------ 0.25------------ 0.25--------- 10.0---------- 7.6-------- x1 Pinch of Food Flakes added.
DAY3------- 30c------ 0.50------------ 0.50--------- NO TEST----- NO TEST- x1 Pinch of Food Flakes added.
DAY4------- 30c------ 2.00------------ 0.50--------- NO TEST----- NO TEST- With rise in AMMO decided to add 34ml of 'CYCLE' to speed bacteria build? NO FOOD TODAY.
DAY5------- 30c------ 0.50------------ 0.50--------- NO TEST----- NO TEST- 15ml 'CYCLE' added, plus x1 Pinch of Food Flakes.
DAY6------- 30c------ 0.50------------ 0.50--------- NO TEST----- NO TEST- x1 Pinch of Food Flakes added. 'CYCLE' not added, due to AMMO level drop since 'cycle' added?
DAY7------- 30c------ 4.00------------ 2.50--------- NO TEST----- NO TEST-- Sourced some AMMO. Added required dose (waited 30 mins) then took todays readings.
DAY8------- 30c------ 4.00------------ 2.50--------- NO TEST----- NO TEST-- Nothing addeed or changed, due to non-movement of readings
DAY9------- 30c------ 2.00------------ 3.00--------- NO TEST----- NO TEST-- Nothing addeed or changed, due to non-movement of readings
DAY10----- 30c------ 2.00------------ 4.00--------- NO TEST----- NO TEST-- Starting to see microscopic life moving all over tank.
DAY11----- 30c------ 2.00------------ 4.00--------- NO TEST----- NO TEST-- Nothing added. Water very busy with microscopic life
DAY12----- 30c------ 1.50 to 2.00---- 5.00--------- NO TEST----- 7.6-------- Nothing added.
DAY13----- 30c------ 1.50 to 2.00---- 5.00--------- NO TEST----- NO TEST-- Nothing added.
DAY14----- 30c------ 1.50 to 2.00---- 5.00+-------- NO TEST----- NO TEST-- Nothing added.
DAY15----- 30c------ 1.50 to 2.00---- 5.00+-------- NO TEST----- NO TEST-- Added x1 Pinch of food to boost 'Feeding'. Lots of micro-life.
DAY16----- 30c------ 1.00 to 1.50---- 5.00+------- 5.0------------ 7.8------- Nothing added but AMMO drop..finally.
DAY17----- 30c------ 1.00----------- 5.00+-------- NO TEST----- NO TEST-- Nothing added.
DAY18----- 30c------ 1.00----------- 5.00+-------- NO TEST----- NO TEST-- Nothing added.
DAY19----- 30c------ 1.00----------- 5.00+-------- NO TEST----- NO TEST-- Nothing added.
DAY20----- 30c------ 1.00----------- 5.00+-------- NO TEST----- NO TEST-- Nothing added.
DAY21----- 30c------ 1.00----------- 5.00+-------- NO TEST----- NO TEST-- Nothing added.
DAY22----- 30c------ 1.00----------- 5.00+-------- NO TEST----- NO TEST-- Nothing added.(Yawwwwn, Bored yet?!)
DAY23----- 30c------ 0.50----------- 5.00+-------- NO TEST----- NO TEST-- Nothing added. HURRAY! Ammo down '.5' more. Still sky-high Nitrites tho
DAY24----- 30c------ 4.0------------ 0.50---------- 5.0---------- 8.2------- <<after 99% WC. (See 'DAY 24' note below)

Your helpful input and suggestions are VERY welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good choice with the fishless cycle! Looks like you're right on track with everything as far as I can tell. Consider doing some water changes to get that nitrite down to a readable level. When it's that high it might stall things a bit. It could take multiple ~90% WCs before it's down to 2-3ppm where it should be. There's no need to vacuum the gravel. Also keep an eye on your pH, if it's spiking that can slow the cycle too.

A big pwc here will help to re-establish your buffers (necessary for nitrification) & help to move things along. You should also be dosing the ammonia back up to 4ppm daily when it drops to help keep your amm>nitrite bacteria fed & happy. This will also allow you to stock your tank fully when you are done with your cycle. As Miles suggested, testing your ph daily will help to monitor your cycle & prevent it from stalling or crashing from a drop/jump in ph. Quick question on your nitrite test- does it turn purple in the bottom of the test tube before you shake it? If it does, your nitrites are really high & a water change is def in order. Keep us posted!!!

I agree about doing a 100% water change since nitrites have been high for over 10 days (normal though for the nitrite phase which can take up to 3 weeks). After the water change test again and ensure nitrites are readable on the test kit (<2 is ideal). If they are still 5+ do another water change until you can read them on the test kit. Don't forget to dose ammonia afterwards. I'd also keep dosing ammonia to 4 each day if it's dropping <1. The "micro life" is probably planaria from the fish food; harmless and normal but a reason the fish food method can be messy. Everything looks good though! Also keep an eye on PH; if it's going to crash it'll probably do it soon and the cycle can stall if it happens.

Hi folks

First of all thanks SO much for your speedy and kind response to my post.

I had actually begun to ead elsewhere that a water change(or two) to help bring the Nititrites down to a more readable level could well give the cycle a little kick-start again, so I was really glad to see that you guys all seem to agree with this thinking too.

So.. I have just replaced 99% of the tank water and replaced it with dechlorinated tap water. I plan to give things an hour or so to settle down, with all apperatus running (ie: filter, air wand, heater) but NO lighting, and then do an initial test of: Ammo, Nitrite, PH and Nitrate to just get base readings of the new water.

Do you guys suggest I redose the ammo back up to 3-4ppm now every time it falls below that level or ONLY when it drops considerably to say <1ppm?

I'll post my new readings later on. (pending any advice to the contrary?)

Once again, thanks for the support guys. (y)

John.
West Midlands, UK.

Hi folks

First of all thanks SO much for your speedy and kind response to my post.

I had actually begun to ead elsewhere that a water change(or two) to help bring the Nititrites down to a more readable level could well give the cycle a little kick-start again, so I was really glad to see that you guys all seem to agree with this thinking too.

So.. I have just replaced 99% of the tank water and replaced it with dechlorinated tap water. I plan to give things an hour or so to settle down, with all apperatus running (ie: filter, air wand, heater) but NO lighting, and then do an initial test of: Ammo, Nitrite, PH and Nitrate to just get base readings of the new water.

Do you guys suggest I redose the ammo back up to 3-4ppm now every time it falls below that level or ONLY when it drops considerably to say <1ppm?

I'll post my new readings later on. (pending any advice to the contrary?)

Once again, thanks for the support guys. (y)

John.
West Midlands, UK.

As far as the dosing I don't think it matters much either way. During my cycle I'd sometimes let it drop for 2-3 days just to see how much it was dropping and to see how long it took to drop close to 0 (in the early stages before it began dropping considerably). Eventually it'll drop to 0 every 24 hours after you dose so in the long run it won't matter. You also don't want to keep it at a low level for too long either or else the bacteria will adjust to the lower dose and you want to grow as much as you can. In general if it drops to <2, then redose.

DAY 24 after following advice to do a large water change to reduce high Nitrites, I have done that and replaced with dechlorinated water.

After dosing ammo again then waiting an hour or so to allow the tank to settle etc, here are the readings:

Temp: 30c | Ammo: 4.0 | Nitrite: 0.5 | PH: 8.2 | Nitrate: 5.0

Any thoughts or feedback?

Looks good! Lets see how things look in 24hrs. Have you tested your tap for nitrites/nitrates as well?

Yes, please check your tap for ammonia/nitrites/nitrates! It will give a baseline for what you are putting in your tank & you will be able to more accurately measure your progress. I suspect the reading of .5ppm nitrites & 5ppm nitrates could possibily be from your tap water. Let us know what you get!

Yes, please check your tap for ammonia/nitrites/nitrates! It will give a baseline for what you are putting in your tank & you will be able to more accurately measure your progress. I suspect the reading of .5ppm nitrites & 5ppm nitrates could possibily be from your tap water. Let us know what you get!

Ok.. but before I check, does it make any difference if I just run the tap and then take the readings or should I allow the water to stand in a cup/glass for any length of time before I record the readings? (I just want to do it right you see.) Thanks for your help here. :brows:

No problem!!! For amm/nitrites/nitrates just fill the tubes & test (same as you would for your tank). Ph should be allowed to sit for 24hrs with an airstone or bubbler-if you dont have one, just give the tap water a good stir every so often and test it after 24hrs of sitting & stirring. This will help to mimic your tanks ph (which is aerated by filters etc). Im glad your asking questions! :)

No problem!!! For amm/nitrites/nitrates just fill the tubes & test (same as you would for your tank). Ph should be allowed to sit for 24hrs with an airstone or bubbler-if you dont have one, just give the tap water a good stir every so often and test it after 24hrs of sitting & stirring. This will help to mimic your tanks ph (which is aerated by filters etc). Im glad your asking questions! :)

Great. Ok.. I'll actually pour some water now and leave it standing for approx 24 hours or so (stirring occasionally) and test the PH tomoz. At the same time I'll also run some more water and test: amm/nitrites/nitrates (from the tap).

I'll post ALL the results about this time tomorrow. Thanks again.

DAY25:
Temp: 30o -- Ammo: 2.0 -- Nitrite: 2.0 -- Nitrate: Not tested -- PH: 7.6

Tap Water Tests: (as requested)
Ammo: <0.25 -- Nitrite: 0.0 -- Nitrate: <5.0 -- *PH: 7.6

*PH reading after 24 hours standing time.

Looks good! Your amm is dropping & you have nitrites! Dose the amm back up to 4ppm & lets see how things look tommorrow!

Looks good! Your amm is dropping & you have nitrites! Dose the amm back up to 4ppm & lets see how things look tommorrow!

Ok... much as I completely trust your advice (and god knows im greatful), can I just ask: If I dose Ammo back up again so soon (whilst it's still quite high) wont I be running the risk of building the Nitrites WAY back up over the 5.0 level again? Thus overwhelming the whole system causing the slowdown I had? (Which then led your advising the large WC I just did).

Please don't be offended by my quirying your advice.:rolleyes:

No problem! The point of dosing the amm back up to 4ppm is to keep your amm>nitrite bacteria fed & happy. It also allows you to build a bioload of bacteria that can handle 4ppm ammonia daily thus allowing you to fully stock your tank when the cycle is complete. You will fine if you leave the amm where it is right now (2ppm) for today/tonight & see how your numbers look in 24hrs. Just dont get in the habit of not dosing it back up to 4ppm or you will lose a portion of your bacteria/bioload. And, yes, dont be surprised to see your nitrites spike up crazy again (this is going to happen!). Its ok for a few days, but then i would do another water change to bring them down again. You are getting pretty close to the end of cycling-make sure you are checking your nitrates daily because they should be starting to build any day now! :)

No problem! The point of dosing the amm back up to 4ppm is to keep your amm>nitrite bacteria fed & happy. It also allows you to build a bioload of bacteria that can handle 4ppm ammonia daily thus allowing you to fully stock your tank when the cycle is complete. You will fine if you leave the amm where it is right now (2ppm) for today/tonight & see how your numbers look in 24hrs. Just dont get in the habit of not dosing it back up to 4ppm or you will lose a portion of your bacteria/bioload. And, yes, dont be surprised to see your nitrites spike up crazy again (this is going to happen!). Its ok for a few days, but then i would do another water change to bring them down again. You are getting pretty close to the end of cycling-make sure you are checking your nitrates daily because they should be starting to build any day now! :)

Ok.. as its now gone 11pm here (UK), I'll wait until tomorrow leaving things as they are. I will take all the readings tomoz (incl. Nitrates too) and will then redose Amm back upto 4ppm as you've advised and explained perfectly. Cheers! (y)

Jilk's got it. :D The bacteria wouldn't starve; it would have to have 0 ammonia for at least a week to starve off completely, so you'll be OK leaving it go tonight if you want to see if it drops more tomorrow. The nitrites will probably spike again; that's normal. The nitrite phase is the longest of the phases and can take up to a few weeks before they go to 0. Mine were at least 5 for 2.5 weeks and I only did a couple of water changes during that time.

Back
Top Bottom