A newbie from India

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vijayw

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello from India,

All of a sudden started this hobby on Dec 22nd with a big tank and many small fishes and soon realised that should ve studied before jumping in it, its time to learn a lot of stuff, which am trying to do with a great place like this.

My off-the-shelf 30 gallon aquarium came fitted with a filter, heater and LED lights. Decorated with gravels, few big stones and couple of artificial plants. Some issue with the air bubble machine and is yet to be delivered.

Fishes:
4 gold dust mollies - all died one after other with in few hours, they stayed for 7-8 days. Noticed swollen lower lips. :-(
4 red caps - yesterday found one with what i assumed with eaten fins. Now learnt that it is fin rot.
2 white angels - both died. one on 2nd day only another three days back. :-(
2 black angels - one died, yest.
8 tiger barbs - one died -two days back, found partially eaten.
4 tin foil barbs
4 Koi s

Guess something really bad happening with the tank (off course with my zero knowledge). My kids become very sad every time they see their fish in trouble (or die).

I am going thru forums - and to my wonder this forum is having each and every topic /question that come to my mind, covered in one or the other thread. Hope will learn something new that'll keep my fish (and kids) happy.

Thanks

Thanks @Delapool.

Now with some 30% water change and addition of 4 sucker fish, am seeing some reduction in brown algae. Added some rock salt too in the main tank.

However, two red cap are still not recovered from their fin rot. Separated them in a fish bowl (don't have a separate tank). Added a drop of anti fungal blue medicine as well. Hope to get the fins back.

With all the issues you are having it would be useful to know your water parameters.

Do you know about the nitrigen cycle and how to cycle a tank? Thats usually what causes issues for newcomers in newly set up tanks.

You have a lot of fish for an uncycled tank, until you are able to know your water parameters i would be doing that 30% water change daily. And stop adding more fish, you will be making everything worse.

Thanks Aiken Drum.

Yes you are right. I am not adding any more fish now. With recent change of around 30-40% water in my tank, I see (atleast to my eyes) situation improved.

Brow algae is reduced a lot. All fish are active and eating well. Am not feeding too much, only twice and enough so they can finish all before anything settle in bottom.

Agree, stop adding fish as your filter/tank is not cycled. As Aiken said above, what instructions have you followed? Cycling a new filter/tank will take 3-8 weeks.

Here is some information on how to cycle your tank/filter.

Thanks Fishwonder.

I didn't knew anything about cycling procedure, the article you shared is really helpful.

Another (blunder?) act was -washing the white cottonwool type filter medium last week, I thought it was too dirty. Wasted that, Had to buy new medium. Got the black foam type double layered.
Hope this will work.

The cotton wool type filter is a polishing pad. That does need to be thrown away when it gets dirty. You might be able to rinse it out 1 or 2 times, but its ok to throw away polishing pads and replace them.

Its sponges and hard media that you dont want to throw away or thoroughly clean, just an occasional rinse.
Thanks Fishwonder.

I didn't knew anything about cycling procedure, the article you shared is really helpful.

Another (blunder?) act was -washing the white cottonwool type filter medium last week, I thought it was too dirty. Wasted that, Had to buy new medium. Got the black foam type double layered.
Hope this will work.

Oh great!! Thanks Aiken!! ��
You saved me from the guilt. ��

I am trying to attach a photo but looks like it accepts only http URLs.

The cotton wool type filter is a polishing pad. That does need to be thrown away when it gets dirty. You might be able to rinse it out 1 or 2 times, but its ok to throw away polishing pads and replace them.

Its sponges and hard media that you dont want to throw away or thoroughly clean, just an occasional rinse.

Thanks Aiken,

You saved me from the guilt! :)

Back
Top Bottom