a planned Sout American blackwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nanofish

Aquarium Advice Freak
After much research I think I've finally come up with a plan for my next aquarium. I've been out of the hobby for years though so I figured I'd run it by everyone to see if it could use any tweaking before I go on my spending spree this weekend (I'm basically starting from scratch).
Tank: Either a 50 or 55 gallon. I'd prefer the 50 gallon for the larger footprint but would be happy with either.
Filter: In the past I have used outside power filters and submersible filters (only for toads though). This time I'm leaning towards a cannister filter. Haven't decided on a brand yet.
Substrate: Playground sand
Decorations: Driftwood, lots of driftwood. I done a lot of research on the subject so I plan to look for some locally. If that proves to be a failure I'll be ordering some Malaysian driftwood. I also plan to use Indian almond leaves to help add tannins.
Plants: I have never kept live plants. Most people say blackwater biotopes don't have any. I have seen pictures of some very nice ones that do contain a few plants so I'm open to the idea. In fact I'm almost certain to give frogbit a try since i especially like the look of it and it will help diffuse the light.
Stock: I'm a fan of the smaller shoaling species. I've looked at a wide range but think I may have finally settled on some, all of which I have kept in the past. I'm open on ideas though. I have a friend wanting to get rid of his aquarium. It only has two Corydoras in so that is where both of those species come from.
I'm thinking something along these lines-
6 long finned Bronze Corys
6 Sterba's Corys
10-12 Glowlight tetras
10-12 Black Neon tetras
I don't think this would be overstocked but I'm not certain. I'm also not certain if all the levels are being used or if I should be thinking about hatchetfish instead of one of the tetras.
Any thoughts or criticisms to my plan are more than welcome.

Meant to say South American, not Sout

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom